Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

bike dolly 04 May 2006 15:49 #45130

• arobsum
  • arobsum's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
i am taking my 77 kz1000 on a 650 mile trip soon and my question is this...would it be better on a trailer or a dolly(with rear tire on ground) its got 28k on the speedo, i figured i would take the chain off. is this
too much stress on the wheel bearings and whatnot?
first time transporting a bike, just want to cover
all the bases. thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

bike dolly 04 May 2006 16:31 #45140

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
This a is a no brainer. TRAILER! A trailer is always the better choice. The dolly is ok if that is all you have access to but I wouldn't trust it. No protection for the bike. Think about all the little things you run over on the road like tire piece, roadkill and so on. All that could fly up and hit the bike. Also if you hit rain the bike will be filthy with all the water kicked up by your car. I say go with a trailer. It will at least give you some peace of mind.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

bike dolly 04 May 2006 19:33 #45177

• dan76kz900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
wow.. ive never heard/seen of a motorcycle dolly where you have the rear wheel on the ground like that. Thats nuts.. no offense :)

I've seen motorcycle trailers - made specifically for motorcycles, they have grooves for your tires and you push your bike up them and tie the bike down - I've seen trailers hold 3 bikes next to each other. But mostly I think thats for dirt bikes.

bike dolly 04 May 2006 20:35 #45192

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I have a three rail trailer, it will haul one bike in the center rail or two bikes on the outside rails, but there is no way three bikes will fit on it at once, unless they are mopeds (and maybe not even them) :)

I have seen lot's of bikes being hauled on a dolly that fits into a Class III Receiver hitch with the rear wheel on the ground, but I won't do it.
KD9JUR

bike dolly 04 May 2006 20:48 #45195

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
I take it that the back of a truck is not an option?
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

bike dolly 05 May 2006 00:58 #45222

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Don't forget to lock your trailer to the hitch and bike to the trailer! We don't want to be buying your parts on ebay!

If it's a quick RT, maybe rent a cargo van. Enterprise and Penske have the best deals around here. Usually only worth it if you can get an unlimited mileage deal.

Hoping to have mine ready for a 700 mile ride next month. Maybe snare some Morgan Island bush meat for a BBQ too.

Post edited by: Duck, at: 2006/05/05 04:03

bike dolly 05 May 2006 14:39 #45332

• arobsum
  • arobsum's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
they make this front tire dolly that mounts in the trailer hitch, and the rear tire stays on the ground rolling. but you folks are right...i have to get a trailer. but they are so expensive. thanks for the info.

bike dolly 05 May 2006 14:44 #45333

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
arobsum wrote:

they make this front tire dolly that mounts in the trailer hitch, and the rear tire stays on the ground rolling..

I just got a mental picture of towing a bike like that, forgetting it was there, and trying to back up.:sick:
Look around for a second hand utility trailer or one of those kits from Northern or Harbor Freight, you don't have to spend a fortune.

bike dolly 05 May 2006 17:25 #45369

• neilage66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
If you rent an enclosed truck, forget to mention that you are hauling a motorbike with oil and fuel in it or they will turn you away most likely. :whistle:

Think oil stains on the next guys mattress or a nice gasoline fire or fumes...not that you would ever do anything like that or let that happen...please, no offense! :ohmy:

• Page: