Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ1000 & GS1100 Swing Arm question? 12 Apr 2006 08:24 #38944

• Allshookup
  • Allshookup's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Well here is my question, I have a 1985 KZ1000 Police Bike and would like to do a swing arm swap. I have found a 82 GS1100 swing arm. (I don't own it yet!)
I would like to know if the GS1100 swing arm is longer then a stock KZ1000 Police swing arm.
Also I have a set of progressive shocks and was wondering how difficult it is going to be to use them.

Thanks for the help,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ1000 & GS1100 Swing Arm question? 12 Apr 2006 09:20 #38952

• inline4
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Is the GS arm the boxed aluminum type? If so it is about 2" longer than the stock KZ900/1000 swingarm. I'm assuming that the police bikes' arms are standard-issue for all the big KZs.
You will have to fabricate a couple of shims to get the GS arm to fit snugly in the Kaw frame. At this time I can't remember the thickness of the two shims that I had made. I'm planning on taking the arm back off my bike ('74Z1A) this weekend so that I can sand and paint it. I'll then measure the shims' thickness and post it here if you haven't determined it for yourself. You and I will also have to remove the small exhaust pipe hanger pieces on each side so that the new arm will have enough up & down travel.
Regarding shocks, I've had a very difficult time finding shocks (used) that will fit. Although I thought that Honda CBX/CB-F shocks would work because of the clevis mount and the length (you will need longer shocks that the GS shocks)the GS shock mounts are just a bit wider than most shocks with the clevis mount. I plan on biting the bullet and buying a set of new shocks from Works Performance or someone like that.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Jim
One more thing, the width of the shock mounts on the GS swingarm is 23mm; your shocks' clevis opening needs to be at least that wide. I hope this helps.

Post edited by: inline4, at: 2006/04/12 12:26

KZ1000 & GS1100 Swing Arm question? 12 Apr 2006 21:25 #39126

• inline4
  • User
Other things to consider with the swingarm swap is you will have to get your rear wheel centered as well as figuring out what brake system to use. A very good member here, galaxian, did the GS swap on a KZ650. You might search for his posts pertaining to the swap. Very detailed info there.
I'm surprised more members haven't chimed in on this subject. Just need to give them time, everyone here is more than willing to help. Again, good luck.
Jim

KZ1000 & GS1100 Swing Arm question? 13 Apr 2006 08:02 #39174

• Allshookup
  • Allshookup's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks inline4,
I have searched the "archives" for hours but I haven't really found much info on the swap for KZ1000. I really don't think the measurements from anything smaller then a 900/1000 would help much.
If anyone has done this swap on a KZ1000 any help would be appreciated, and also don't forget to post pictures.
I would love to see the finished job.

KZ1000 & GS1100 Swing Arm question? 13 Apr 2006 08:31 #39177

• gas
  • User

KZ1000 & GS1100 Swing Arm question? 13 Apr 2006 08:41 #39181

• inline4
  • User
Allshookup:
The 2 spacers I had made were 4.5mm thick, with an inside diamter of 16mm.
Jim

• Page: