Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Caliper Rebuilding 11 Apr 2006 08:09 #38599

• Cardin
  • Cardin's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My rear caliper is leakin juice considerably, so I'm gonna rebuild it. I picked up a rebuild kit and leafed to the appropriate section in the Clymer...which told me to leave it to a pro. Provided no illustrations and no advice.

It seems like it'd be pretty straight forward and self explanatory, but if you've got any tips, tricks, advice, pitfalls, things to look for concerning rebuilding the rear caliper, I'd be very happy to hear about it.

Oh, also.. the kit I bought doesn't contain the seal that joins the caliper halves, so I gotta find something off the shelf. Are there any issues concerning brake fluid and the o-ring seal material?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Caliper Rebuilding 11 Apr 2006 08:16 #38601

• kz1r
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Maybe this link will help..

oldmanhonda.com/MC/RHints.html

Caliper Rebuilding 11 Apr 2006 09:04 #38611

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Just did this with the two piece caliper except for the seal. Biggest problem was finding some good pistons because mine were shot full of holes.

Once all parts were in hand and cleaned up, it took all of 3 minutes to put in the seals, pistons, and dust boots. Lube with brake fluid. Put dust boot on piston before inatalling piston. Start dust boot on cylinder lip and hold down with two fingers while pressing around with the other hand.

That's a flat seal between the halves. Waiting for enough of an order to amortize shipping. I don't know what O-ring material is good for brake fluid and the local parts guy doesn't know what his O-rings are made out of so I didn't look it up. Probably be OK using annealed copper if in a hurry.

Caliper Rebuilding 11 Apr 2006 18:43 #38790

• bluegill
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
leave the caliper on the bike until you're ready to remove the piston, allowing you to just pump your pedal/lever until the piston comes out. Sometimes they're hard to get out and you end up using compressed air.

• Page: