Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

triples modification 03 Apr 2006 14:43 #36482

• marko
  • marko's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm waiting to get my kz 1300 triple tree. I'm going to fit the triples to my z1r. one problem that I know is the fork openings are slightly bigger than my z1r forks. My machinist says that he can make a bushing to fit in the fork opening to make the z1r forks fit right in. Is this going to be safe? Thanks Mark B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

triples modification 03 Apr 2006 17:06 #36505

• wireman
  • Visitor
why are you using those triple trees?:whistle:

triples modification 03 Apr 2006 22:36 #36587

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
marko wrote:

I'm waiting to get my kz 1300 triple tree. I'm going to fit the triples to my z1r. one problem that I know is the fork openings are slightly bigger than my z1r forks. My machinist says that he can make a bushing to fit in the fork opening to make the z1r forks fit right in. Is this going to be safe? Thanks Mark B)

I was curious of that myself.

On something as important as triples you don't want to go shimming them.... you can always bore a hole larger for them, but don't go shimming when there's better options available.

triples modification 03 Apr 2006 22:40 #36588

• marko
  • marko's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Hey wireman I'm using those triples because I need a wider front end. I have a zx9 front wheel and it will not work with my old triples. Way to narrow. Plus I'm getting the triples for free:) I guess I should have said why I was using the 1300 triples in my first post. Sorry I'm still a rookie at this:)

triples modification 03 Apr 2006 23:20 #36589

• wireman
  • Visitor
ive never seen it done ,but if he does make you some bushings make sure he puts a shoulder on top of them to keep them in place.;) goodluck,happy wrenching!

triples modification 05 Apr 2006 06:01 #36853

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
Even with shoulders I wouldn't get on a sleeved front end bike. No farkin way...

triples modification 05 Apr 2006 08:17 #36894

• galaxian
  • User
Why not? Theoretically if you shimm the pressure at which you compress the triple on to the fork is the same. If its is shouldered it should not slip out. So why are you so worried. I have seen older race bikes at the track that had this. Some guys were even running eccentric shims to squeeze every bit of adjustability that they could.

Post edited by: galaxian, at: 2006/04/05 11:21
1977 KZ1000A1, 1979 KZ650 C3

triples modification 05 Apr 2006 10:35 #36927

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I would have no concerns about riding a bike that had shims in the clamps, as long as they are done properly, there is plenty enough clamping force available to lock them in place (again, if done properly).

I have not had to shim any fork clamps yet, but I may do so in the future, and will have no qualms about doing so.
KD9JUR

triples modification 05 Apr 2006 15:18 #36992

• wireman
  • Visitor
i see a lot of differant wheels and swingarms on here that have been fitted to bikes,im sure there was some bushings involved some where in that process.i think kosman makes some adjustable trees that use some sort of bushings to make adjustments.im pretty sure Sandy Kosman owns some tools other than a file and hes been using them since before i was born.

triples modification 05 Apr 2006 15:55 #36999

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
wireman wrote:

i see a lot of differant wheels and swingarms on here that have been fitted to bikes,im sure there was some bushings involved some where in that process.i think kosman makes some adjustable trees that use some sort of bushings to make adjustments.im pretty sure Sandy Kosman owns some tools other than a file and hes been using them since before i was born.

Whatever you say chief. I've made my point. No one said you guys can't disagree, but the fact is that the best and safest way for this problem to be solved is to use the proper triple trees.

Here's a better question... why isn't the thread starter just getting the correct trees and running them instead of shimming?

triples modification 05 Apr 2006 16:21 #37003

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Heres an idea, get the zx9 forks to match the wheel, the forks are bigger, and bore the triples out to the new size. no shims, no arguments;)
Scott
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

triples modification 05 Apr 2006 16:27 #37005

• wireman
  • Visitor
chief huh,i like it !its not as catchy as training wheel or kiddo,but ill take what i can get!:whistle: lets see i take the diameter of the bigger tube and subtract the diameter of the smaller tube to get the diameter and thickness of the bushings i need.its been a while since junior high shop class but i think i remember that much .am i close so far?id also leave a small shoulder on the top and split it down the side like triple tree to make it easier to clamp down.i be willing to bet i could make them myself in less than an hour.if i can get the measurements i might just do it to prove how easy it really is to do with a lathe.

• Page: