Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

CUSTOM MADE REARSETS ON THE CHEAP. 25 Mar 2006 20:20 #34306

• twowheeledterror
  • twowheeledterror's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
Okay, since the tank project is still on hold I will start another writeup. Rearsets. A lot of us want them, but who wants to pay $350.00 for a set of Raasks? I sure don't!

So I'm gonna write up one way to make a set for your bike specifically. Of course you'll need to adjust things a bit for your bike, but it's the basics right?

So I've got some rearsets off a mid 80's sportbike. I can't even remember what the hell they were off of. haha I got them on ebay for like $12.00 for the set. This is a GREAT way to get the parts you need for your rearsets.

Rearsets are basically just a lever, an arm and a mounting plate.

You can salvage everything you need from the rearsets except the plates most of the time.

Here's a shot of the rearsets I got with the plates removed. I pull them apart to check them out and get them ready to clean up. As you can see my rearsets were fixed at one point. They are fugly looking. The one foot peg was snapped off and was replaced by a piece of aluminum stock that was very grossly welded to the pivot. I will be removing BOTH of these and doing up a set of pegs that are custom made, knurled and all. This is a step I am only doing because I have access to machining equipment. If you find a set with good pegs you will be saving yourself a headache!

In the next few days I'll try to get the plans I've got drawn up scanned for the plates so I can post them. I'll also remember to get pics of the work in progress as I'm milling things.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

CUSTOM MADE REARSETS ON THE CHEAP. 25 Mar 2006 20:27 #34311

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
  • Thank you received: 5
Keep us posted as I am in the mocking it stage still :P

CUSTOM MADE REARSETS ON THE CHEAP. 25 Mar 2006 21:42 #34339

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Sounds like you got a good deal. I was thinking of building my own, but after doing a little reading on here, Im quite convinced that I can get some ZX rear sets to work, and it should be a lot less fabrication. keep us posted with some pics and a write up of your work.:) Im looking forward to seeing something in detail so I can get a good idea of do's and dont's.:) happy fabricatingB)
Scott
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

CUSTOM MADE REARSETS ON THE CHEAP. 26 Mar 2006 07:12 #34396

• hoss
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
you have more to work with than me. I have a set of stock Nighthawk sets I,m trying to do the same with. I like your idea better. Keep us posted.

CUSTOM MADE REARSETS ON THE CHEAP. 30 Mar 2006 13:30 #35488

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
Okay, so I forgot my camera at home today while I was working on this. I'll TRY to remember tomorrow to give a better HOW TO on this one...anyhow, here's the plates to mount the rearsets to the bike itself.

As you can see it's a pretty drastic change. 3 back, 3 up. It's a tuck position for riding, so it'll be pretty aggressive.... with clip ons mounted low the steering on the bike should be like I want it.... quick.

Anyhow, the holes for mine are 12mm on the bike side and just a hair over 17mm for the rearsets side. The angle of the bike mounts to the rearset is 120*, 55mm from top bike mount to rearset eye to eye, and 40mm eye to eye between the bike mounts. I'll scan my prelim drawing when I get a chance.

Post edited by: twowheeledterror, at: 2006/03/30 16:31

CUSTOM MADE REARSETS ON THE CHEAP. 30 Mar 2006 19:49 #35615

• 77KZ650
  • User
looking good, keep er up:)
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

CUSTOM MADE REARSETS ON THE CHEAP. 01 Apr 2006 23:14 #36095

• 77KZ650
  • User
Any more progress TWT?
I just won (in 2 auctions) a set of ZX600 (85-87) rear sets on ebay:) got the oil cooler too (seperate auction, pic in engine section) grand total with shipping way up here to Canada: $46.51 (US$) not bad for 3 auctions, should be easy to get these rear sets to work too:) cant wait to get them!
Scott
Attachments:

CUSTOM MADE REARSETS ON THE CHEAP. 01 Apr 2006 23:52 #36104

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
77KZ650 wrote:

Any more progress TWT?
I just won (in 2 auctions) a set of ZX600 (85-87) rear sets on ebay:) got the oil cooler too (seperate auction, pic in engine section) grand total with shipping way up here to Canada: $46.51 (US$) not bad for 3 auctions, should be easy to get these rear sets to work too:) cant wait to get them!
Scott

I'll concoct a schematic to make them fit so you've got a few ideas. You know what they say, two heads is better than one. lol

I've got a set of those exact rearsets, but I can only find the brake side. :(

Anyhow, no more progress. I spent Friday moving and getting my new KZ into the garage and partway torn down. It's getting clip ons and headlamp mounts (tomaselli style) for a really good cafe look. Justin (Guitargeek) sent me some pods for it, but they are big so I need to make some adapters for those and then get a new battery and the bike will be on the road.

I want to make the rearset plates for this bike too but I need to figure out a way to mount them with the 1 mounting point configuration on the 77 KZ's.

CUSTOM MADE REARSETS ON THE CHEAP. 14 Apr 2006 11:13 #39511

• johnny chop
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So far so good TWT.........Keep up the good work!
Check your PM.........;)

Post edited by: johnny chop, at: 2006/04/14 14:18

• Page: