Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Chains-X/O Ring vs Other 13 Mar 2006 12:15 #30701

• bemoore
  • bemoore's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
For my KZ650C1 restoration, I'm going to change the chain and sprockets. I see that the state of the art in chains these days is O-ring or X-ring chains. As I understand, they have seals to keep in the oil, but these seals add a little friction. I'm thinking of going with one of the oiler systems like a Scottoiler or a Loobman. It would seem that with one of these systems a cheaper chain would last just as long as an X/O ring chain. Whaddaya think?
77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chains-X/O Ring vs Other 13 Mar 2006 12:53 #30706

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
I went with the X-ring chain for minimal maintenance (also because the manual states that only an O-ring chain should be used). I clean the crud off every so often and apply chain lube sparingly to avoid rust. It's much nicer than chain lube slinging all over the rear end and tire.

- Nate >>
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

Chains-X/O Ring vs Other 13 Mar 2006 13:31 #30715

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
I would personally lube any chain, O, X, or plain. I have a plain chain that's 2000 miles old. It has been adjusted twice and barely stretched at that.

I want to buy a loobman but think I do alright with the spray lube I use. I can't think of the name right now...I keep it lubed up pretty good at every tankful. I wipe a rag on the rim every week, I look at it as chrome preservative. I make sure my rear wheel is aligned so the chain runs straight. There is a lot on the 'net about chain care and what to use for lube. What I realized was a chain will last a good long time if it's kept adjusted properly and lubed regular. Some guys use tranny fluid, chainsaw bar oil, chain wax, I use the spray can stuff. I'm going to try the chainsaw bar oil next, my spray can is about gone.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Chains-X/O Ring vs Other 13 Mar 2006 14:29 #30734

• Flynrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've been using O-ring chains since they started becoming affordable in the 80s. I'll never go back. Regular chains require a lot of lube to keep them running smooth. With their sealed lubricant, O-rings require just enough lube to keep the rollers gliding smoothly over the sprockets. It's a lot less of a mess.

My current chain is an O-ring with 14K miles on it. I lube it with a light, non sticky silocone lube every few hundred miles. It still has a lot of life left in it.

I think one of the secrets to long life is not adjusting the chain to the tight side of the spec. When I started adjusting it to the loose end of the spec., I found that I didn't need to do it nearly as often.

• Page: