Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

a slight wobble 07 Mar 2006 10:07 #29011

• dan76kz900
  • dan76kz900's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My bike has a wobble. It happens when I am in a turn and turn hard - lean alot.. the wobble starts. The bike seems to wobble left to right slighty, or maybe its the steering thats wobbling. I dont like it all. I dont know what it is.. any idea what it could be ? What should I check/look for ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

a slight wobble 07 Mar 2006 10:11 #29014

• wireman
  • Visitor
steering head bearings,wheel bearings,swingarm bushings ,bent rim ,bad tires ,dirtbike boots on front forks:whistle: (had to throw that one in!:woohoo: )goodluck,happy wrenching!

a slight wobble 07 Mar 2006 10:26 #29019

• dan76kz900
  • User
wireman: I knew it was the boots ! LOL :)

So, one of all those things you mentioned could be the culprit ? Should I start replacing one at a time, or is there a way to check the parts before taking them apart.

Can I eliminate a bent rim since it goes nice and smooth on the hwy at high speeds.

a slight wobble 07 Mar 2006 10:54 #29032

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Put bike on centerstand. Pull on forks. Can you feel any play or slop in steering head? Turn handle bars. Do you feel anything different between turning left or right? Grab front wheel wiggle it. Does it move at all? Have buddy push down on front of bike. Wiggle swingarm. Does it move side to side at all? Wiggle rear wheel. Does it move at all? There should be no wiggle or side to side play in wheel or swingarm bearings or bushings. Bearings are not expensive, as long as you don't get them from a bike shop. All bearing have no# on them and can be got from industrial bearing suppliers. If bike has any sort of mileage or history of poor maintenance (PO of course) then think about all new bearings.

a slight wobble 09 Mar 2006 20:22 #29733

• dan76kz900
  • User
I checked my rear wheel and swing arm.. I didnt find anything obvious. I was able to detect a slight movement in the rear wheel. I would push the bottom and pull the top of the wheel - and there is a slight movement I noticed at the drum cover and wheel hub(if thats the correct part names). It is very slight.. I dont know if that is bad. I was not able to check the front end very well.. I will this weekend.

Is there a good way to check if my tires are good and not cupped or anything that would cause the wobble ?

a slight wobble 09 Mar 2006 20:28 #29735

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
My rear tire had a bit of a bulge in it, and was fine going straight (even way over the speed limit;) ), but going around turns, the bike would have a big wobble if I leaned it very much.
Scott
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

a slight wobble 09 Mar 2006 20:29 #29736

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1278
You could remove the rear wheel and shocks and see if the swing arm bushings are shot. That'd be my bet.

KZCSI
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

a slight wobble 10 Mar 2006 04:54 #29801

• Snakebyte
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Has anyone thought to them selves that the stock swing arm is the culprit? The stock arm is only round tube and is not very thick. Same thing with the frame. Its not at all strong. That why so many people are gusseting the frame. I beleive the stock arm is the problem with the high speed wobble. If it is a low speed wobble then it is your tire.
The new swing arms are square witch is more ridged, and can control high speed flex more efficiently. Thats just my .02.
I wonder if anyone that did a swing arm conversion got rid of the high speed wobble?? New thread time...

• Page: