Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

how to build a chopper 28 Feb 2006 20:43 #27237

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
  • Thank you received: 5
To check into a longer swing arm .. There has been lots posted on this only a few days ago might try going back through the older threads , Struts are steel or aluminum bars that replace the rear shocks , It is for drag racing .to give better traction , A good set of shocks are not all that expensive .. might be easier to ride too ,, But each to their own .. (: Sport bike bars are really called Clip ons ,, They clamp around the fork tubes most of the time ,, Buy them by the mm size of your fork tube ,Where you want to ride in the seat is up to you .. Risers, Handlebars , seat styles ,, (: it all about you ,,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

how to build a chopper 28 Feb 2006 21:11 #27241

• wireman
  • Visitor
if you are going with a longer swingarm that might be a good time to switch to rear disc brake.i would stay away from struts personally,but thats up to you.try some shorter shocks,if you are going to change swngarms do this before ordering shocks.raise your forktubes up in the trees but wait till you figure out rear of bike so you can level everything,then try the superbike bars.bikes are an ever evolving process,its easier to do it a little at a time its a lot easier to adjust your plans that way.:whistle: goodluck,happy wrenching!

how to build a chopper 01 Mar 2006 08:53 #27289

• solomrus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
i was curious because i have the same exhaust, but mine was painted, not chrome.

same megaphone, everything. i was told it was an older bassani, but i wasn't sure.

i cut the cheezy pinch bolt type clamp off of mine, and ran a t-bolt clamp like the kerker's use.

--r
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

how to build a chopper 01 Mar 2006 17:20 #27379

• dog pound
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I think if you want to chop, go for it and you will learn about your ride and yourself. I am in the making of my 1977 KZ 1000 A1 chopper. Send my your E Mail and I will send you some pic's.

Cheers

how to build a chopper 08 Mar 2006 10:27 #29366

• ubique_2
  • User
A chopper is a form of personal expression, an art form if you like, and there is no set definition of a chopper. If you want to build a chopper, let Dog Pound know of what you want, or e-mail me and I'll help you out...

Terry

how to build a chopper 09 Mar 2006 20:17 #29731

• dan76kz900
  • dan76kz900's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
ubique_2: Oh.. a chopper is one's customized bike. I thought it was a style of how you customize a bike.. lowered, bars, etc

how to build a chopper 11 Mar 2006 01:31 #30045

• froggy
  • User
dan76kz900 wrote:

Hello,

I have been looking at pictures of choppers, and I am starting to like them. I dont know how you guys build them or anything.

I'd like to play around with my 76 KZ900 and see what I can do. What I would like to do is not do any modifications that I cant return back to stock.

My ideas are starting.. I want to sit closer to the road, and have straight handle bars and be able to sit up straight. My bike has already been lowered a little bit in the front.

Any ideas for me ? What have you done to achevie a chopper style.

GO FOR IT MAN BUILD A CHOPPER ive modified your pic as an idea of what mods i would do ill u2u this pic to u hope it sparks some more ideas to what you already have been thinking
LOWRIDER;)
P.S get rid of that whole rear fender an seat thats the dirtbike look
maybe cut up a black saddle back with silver buttons drape and zip to your side covers buy a new seat buy drsg bars or tilt the ones you have upwards
here is a rough draft

Post edited by: froggy, at: 2006/03/11 04:40
Attachments:

how to build a chopper 11 Mar 2006 05:44 #30067

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
I can't resist posting these that I found on Chopper Underground.

how to build a chopper 11 Mar 2006 07:09 #30083

• wireman
  • Visitor
:sick: :sick:

how to build a chopper 11 Mar 2006 18:56 #30197

• mushmouth
  • User
The yellow edited bike is pretty awesome actually. The bike in the image i attached is a triumph but it follows the same idea. When you say you want to build a chopper but you also want to have it set so that you can return it to stock form, that kinda negates the purpose of having a chopper. what the yellow edited bike and the one the one i attached are, are called bobbers. these bikes are kinda the pre version of the chopper,if you catch my drift. back in the day guys would "bob" off parts on their bikes to make them lighter for the races, and then add on what they needed to legally ride them home after the race. since some guys would race on dirt tracks they would pull off the rear shocks and put on struts to lighten them up. guys would go as far as racing without breaks. now as far as choppers go. as soon as you "chop" something off the frame its not a bobber, its a chopper. I have a feeling this is what you don't want.
In my opinion I am tottaly for the chopper thing regardless of the brand and make. but bobbers are pretty rightious too. you should tottaly hit up the swap meets for a fender to put on the back tire and get some struts, and a single seat. That would be a true bobber.

how to build a chopper 11 Mar 2006 19:24 #30208

• mushmouth
  • User
whatever i give up on the picture. just take the front fender and put it onthe back. run the front tire fenderless.
Attachments:

how to build a chopper 11 Mar 2006 19:27 #30211

• mushmouth
  • User
Oh sweet it worked. man i'm mental