Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bike in a Kazillion Parts - Where to Start? 13 Jan 2006 15:48 #17755

• skippr76KZ
  • skippr76KZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Any advice from anyone who might have gone through this process on a natural order of restoring a bike? I'm piecing back together my KZ900, which has been in parts since 1988. Parts are powdercoated/chromed/buffed or replaced or in the process of being secured and replaced. I have most of the items I need. I have a bare powdercoated frame waiting. I plan to put the engine/carb/exhause/chain etc. last. Is it best to work front to back? Back to Front? Is there an order to typically work in that causes the least problems? Thanks!
1976 KZ900LTD Fully Restored
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bike in a Kazillion Parts - Where to Start? 13 Jan 2006 16:00 #17756

• wireman
  • Visitor
i usually put the majority of the motor together ,lay it on its side and lay the frame down over it and bolt it in,make sure you lay down some blankets first so you dont scratch anything!i use 3 of those heavy plastic milk crates 2side by side and 1 directly behind centered up on them with some towels on top makes a perfect assembly stand i put the frontend and swingarm and all the other parts on first wheels go on right before its taken off the assembly stand bodywork goes on last!goodluck,happy wrenching!

Bike in a Kazillion Parts - Where to Start? 14 Jan 2006 04:26 #17826

• Snakebyte
  • User
I would start with putting the rolling chasis first then bubble wrap the frame for the engine install, then gust work your way out from the engine, body pieces last.

Bike in a Kazillion Parts - Where to Start? 14 Jan 2006 13:03 #17873

• reborn650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Last winter I did exactly what you are about to undertake. The advice from the other members is excellent. You might want to also pick up several large rolls of auto body painter's masking tape to protect the frame and other painted parts. Take your time installing the exhaust pipes as they are a tight fit on the downtubes.

A little prevention can save a lot of misery later on into the project. Trust me on this one:) It is also a good idea to document your rebuild with pics as you will likely look back fondly on this project for years to come. Have fun!

Colin Firth - Ontario Canada

1977 KZ650 Custom. Brought back from the dead after 13 years of neglect. Totally rebuilt from frame up. Wiseco 700 kit (810 Kit with bigger carbs/750 cams on the way). Ported, polished heads. Triple angle valve job. Properly re-jetted rebuilt carbs, Filters, MAC Pipe, Barnett Clutch, Shortened Signal Light Stalks, Sculpted Seat, Painted Speedo/Tach Collars and Brake Calipers, Recessed Licence Plate, Polished Headlight Bucket, Bridgestones, Bead blasted rims, 14 tooth sprocket front, Superbike Bars, Painted 2005 Magnum Red with silver and gold stripes. Only 13,000 miles on bike. Runs and looks like new and does it ever jump off the line!

Post edited by: reborn650, at: 2006/01/14 16:04
-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

Bike in a Kazillion Parts - Where to Start? 14 Jan 2006 13:55 #17880

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
good idea laying the motor over and the frame to mount it. hadn't thought of that. needless to say i did it the hard way..:)...ps...after engine i went ahead with front end and tires...so that i could at least roll it around for convenience. just a thought.

Post edited by: arobsum, at: 2006/01/14 17:00

Bike in a Kazillion Parts - Where to Start? 14 Jan 2006 17:14 #17913

• DanOz7Five0
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I like getting a roller ready first. Then get some liquid strength and a buddy to help put the engine in. The easiest way for me is to put the engine without the head in. Im 6'2" and weigh 160 and have managed to put a few of these engines in myself without blowing my back out yet. Then once the engine is in do the wiring and then the bodywork.

Bike in a Kazillion Parts - Where to Start? 14 Jan 2006 20:47 #17952

• skippr76KZ
  • skippr76KZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks all - for some great advice. I seem to remember laying the bike on it's side to remove the engine, so it might work in reverse as well. Getting to be pretty old to heft those engines around on my own. I'll put up some progress pics link for those interested. Thanks again for the feed back.
1976 KZ900LTD Fully Restored
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone

Bike in a Kazillion Parts - Where to Start? 15 Jan 2006 09:56 #17996

• DanOz7Five0
  • User
Yes, progress pics are always cool. Welcome aboard too btw. Good luck getting it back together, any questions Im sure you can find the answers between the active members and the old archives.

Bike in a Kazillion Parts - Where to Start? 05 Feb 2006 06:33 #21596

• mdavis
  • User
I would suggest to start by getting a copy of the overhaul manual. I got one off ebay for my 80 kz550 on two disks. Just follow the book, you cant go wrong.
Although, its a great idea on how to put the motor back in, using the milk crate trick and frame on its side. Saves a lot of back breaking and it will probably cause less damage to a newly powder coated frame. Good luck.

Bike in a Kazillion Parts - Where to Start? 06 Feb 2006 07:32 #21869

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
To powdercoat the frame, the bearings were either removed to be replaced or you fried them. Replace, swingarm, steering head and wheel bearings FIRST. Then put the swingarm, wheels on and brakes. Then, if the engine was disassembled, bolt the cases in. You won't scratch up your powdercoat if you are careful and the engine is pretty easy to maneuver with the top end off. Install the top end and then install the electrics and last, the carbs and other small bits.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: