Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Handle bar accessory instruments 02 Dec 2006 00:15 #96723

• pumps
  • pumps's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I was at the auto parts store getting something the other day and passed by some little digital compass/clock/thermometer things. About 2.5 inched by 4 inches. I quite often lose track of time on the bike. Wonder what the temp is (while wondering why I didn't wear more clothes) and once in a great while wonder what direction an unknown road is taking me.
I looked a little for handle bar mounted stuff on the net but found only a few things. Not expensive stuff like GPS. Something not too pricey and works well would be ok.Weatherproof would be good too. The auto parts store one I looked at rather quickly was about 35 bucks I think. But I bet its not water proof. Anybody have that type of stuff on their ride? Thanks in advance!B)
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Handle bar accessory instruments 02 Dec 2006 11:50 #96779

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
I picked up one of those little battery operated digital clock/thermometers at my local Auto Zone for about $10.

A bigger pic can be seen HERE

I have it mounted accross the handlebar clamps on my ZN using the 2 velcro strips that it came with, and it holds really solid regardless of how bumpy the road is.
It's designed to be used in an auto and has a 3-position switch that changes the display to show interior and exterior temps as well as the time. It has a small sensor attached to a 6' wire to be used for the exterior temp, and I have that velcro'd to the back of my headlight housing out of view.
Judging by the thermometer display at the bank near my house, and is accurate to within about 1~2 degrees.
The button on the left activates the backlight so it can be viewed at night and stays on for about 3~4 seconds, which is just enough time to see the info.

Sitting in direct sunlight and at higher temps (85+) it causes the face to temporarily go blank. But once it cool down it works fine again.
It is absolutely NOT weatherproof however, and will get a slight amount of moisture on the inner screen if left sitting outside when it's either raining, or when it's cold enough to leave dew on an auto windshield.
The moisture eventually evaporates, and has yet to keep it from functioning.

Overall, I'd say not to bad of a product for a mere $10. ;)
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Handle bar accessory instruments 02 Dec 2006 11:53 #96780

• pumps
  • pumps's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Thats not bad...I'll look some more.
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

• Page: