Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Brake lights pull voltage way down 26 Nov 2006 07:42 #95021

• outatimeoutlaw
  • outatimeoutlaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
My bike is an 82 KZ1100 D1 SPECTRE. Whenever the brake lights are on,(has 4 extra lights in dealer installed back box)the h-light goes dim & batt volts drops like a rock.I have diconnected the back box & still have the draw.Also ocasionaly the 30 amp main fuse will fail but not in the center, it burns on the ends??? Does anyone
Know of a common fault I can look at?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Brake lights pull voltage way down 26 Nov 2006 08:39 #95038

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
  • Thank you received: 19
If the stock rear light is still plugged in then unplug it from the harness and see what happens. If it still drops voltage or blows the fuse then it has to be in the harness or switches.
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

Brake lights pull voltage way down 26 Nov 2006 11:01 #95066

• DanVVArider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
The fuse burns on which end--the lights, or the juice? I'm guessing the lights end.

Do like KZ Rage says, and if that doesn't work, leave the old bulb and new box disconnected/removed, remove the fuse and, using a stock voltmeter (the simpler the better; the ones that older Baby Bell techs used is best) turned off, put one end to the frame for ground and the other to the lights end. If the needle moves in either direction with the meter turned off, you've got some stray voltage leak (least likely); if it doesn't move, turn the meter on and see where the needle goes. If it moves to the right (very likely), either completely or partway, you've got wiring problems. Start tracing the wiring, looking for insulation breaks, or even connector points, that might be touching the frame somewhere.

Realistically, it's most likely something relatred to the lights installation, whether it's the existing lights or the new stuff.
"CHOP 'TIL YA DROP!"

Brake lights pull voltage way down 27 Nov 2006 04:23 #95287

• outatimeoutlaw
  • User
Thanx guys .I was realy looking for a common place where
the harness will rub or short to ground.Or acommon switch problem. I can't find anything wrong with either.:(

Brake lights pull voltage way down 28 Nov 2006 09:32 #95636

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
If it was a short, the fuse would blow, not just melt in one end or the other. Fuses melting at one end are ususally the indication of a bad connection on the fuse. With the extra current to the brake light (which is significant) the bad connection gets hotter and the resistance goes up. That resistance is the cause of the voltage drop. It also causes more heat which melts the fuse. Make sure the connections are clean, shiny brass and fit tight. If the wires are melted, consider replacing the fuse holder with a much better, sealed blade-type fuse holder.

Brake lights pull voltage way down 01 Dec 2006 07:10 #96456

• rammy
  • User
Check am make sure you have a good ground also. Beleive me a bad ground will play havac with electrical problems when diagnoising
The barn yard;77 Kz650B-1 Kaw(the fun one) & 89 classic hog.
Chicago area-south burbs

Brake lights pull voltage way down 02 Dec 2006 06:33 #96742

• outatimeoutlaw
  • User
Just a thank you note to all who responded. Have been busy at work & hav'nt made the sugjested checks as yet but I am sure I will find the answer. When I get a few bucks ahead I will be sending some KZR's way.

INLINES RULE V-TWINS SUCK

Brake lights pull voltage way down 09 Dec 2006 04:52 #98402

• outatimeoutlaw
  • User
Ok guys, I had a short in the power suply wire to th front brake light switch. So I just hooled it to battery pos . Now there is no prob. Just that brake lights work from front switch with the key off THANS AGAIN TO ALL.

Pay attention to what the asshole said
becuase they allways speak the truth

• Page: