Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

I think something is dead 23 Nov 2006 07:46 #94286

• OGKZCAT
  • OGKZCAT's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys, I have a lil problem. Here's the vitals first. I have a 78 1000 A2 with VM26's brand new from WG and work great, a V&H sidewinder and am currently running a Dyna S. I had it running the other day rode it up and down the street ran like a top. Since this is going to be a drag bike a I got a Dyna shift minder off Ebay, I installed the next day. After the install I tried it out. The motor started on choke, idled for about 5 seconds at around 1000 rpms, then shot up to 3500 and died. I haven't been able to start since. I have spark, seemed a lil weak, so I did WG's coil repowering mod. I have good spark, engine still won't run and the carbs are working perfect. I checked all fuses and all conections. If I try to start engine turns it won't start and will run the battery down to nothing in about 10 mins. Could this be caused by a bad rectifier or regulator. They are both oem stock and nearly 30 years old, or is there something else I am missing. I don't want to go buying new electronics and it not fix the problem. I apppreciate any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I think something is dead 23 Nov 2006 07:50 #94287

• wireman
  • Visitor
whats a shift minder,a rev limiter?disconnect the shift minder thing and go back to way it was and see if it runs right;)

I think something is dead 23 Nov 2006 07:58 #94289

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
It sounds to me like all your problems popped up when you installed the shift minder, so that's where I'd assume something is amiss.
I'd suggest retracing all of the connections (and checking the DYNA install directions if you have them) to make sure that all are secure and connected properly.

There's always the off chance that the shift minder itself is damaged/faulty/defective (it was bought off of fleabay by all means). You might want to contact DYNA directly to see if they have any suggestions or tips to help you either test the unit, or in helping to locate the cause of the problem.

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2006/11/23 11:02
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

I think something is dead 23 Nov 2006 08:23 #94296

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Hmmm...it almost sounds like it was running out of gas?...fuel starvation?
Make sure You have fuel hitting the carbs(and of course,into the cylinders).
Don't forget...check the obvious FIRST,and don't go jumping all over the place,thinking that it's GOTTA be something more serious!B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

I think something is dead 23 Nov 2006 09:13 #94306

• kyradawg
  • User
Turn the petcock to the on position.

Peace&Love:blush: , Darren

I think something is dead 23 Nov 2006 15:32 #94390

• OGKZCAT
  • User
I failed to mention that after the problem, I removed the shift minder/light. I still have the same problem. I checked timing and its on, carbs are getting gas and also the cylinders. I can see and smell the fuel on the plugs, I pulled the plugs and checked the gapping. I had a good idea that the minder is problably bad, it was used after all. But after I took it off it didn't fix the problem. The starter turns the motor, and after cranking for a minute or so it acts like it wants to fire once , but just wont. My question, I guess, is does the rectifier or the regulator, either one, keep the motor running and/or would a bad one keep it from running. I am not exactly sure which functions for which purpose. The only thing I can figure is that its an electrical component gone bad.

I think something is dead 23 Nov 2006 15:41 #94392

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
The reg/rec is part of the charging system, and has nothing to do with the ignition system.
KD9JUR

I think something is dead 23 Nov 2006 15:45 #94393

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Your regulator or rectifier isn't causing the starting problem. If the battery is charged, the bike will start on the battery and if you can crank for 10 minutes, then the battery is likely fine. The regulator and rectifier ensure that DC voltage gets to the battery to keep it charged. First thing to do is charge the battery.

Then measure the voltage at the coils.

If the voltage is OK (about 12 VDC), did you do anything to the ignition wiring when you installed the "shift minder"? I suspect you did. Could there be the slightest chance you crossed the black and green wires from you Dyna S or points? How is the "shift minder" wired in? In other words, what did you do when you installed it?

Last, check the VM carb connections link on my web site in the event you may have something on the carbs installed incorrectly. Let me know how this turns out.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

I think something is dead 23 Nov 2006 16:28 #94405

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
I'm also guessing that it has to do with the install of the Shift-Minder.
But You say You're getting spark...hmmm...:huh: ...

Post edited by: Sandy, at: 2006/11/23 19:29
1977 KZ1000 A-1
Attachments:

I think something is dead 24 Nov 2006 05:36 #94501

• OGKZCAT
  • User
Thanks guys, I'm going to go thru the wiring front to back. I suspect it to be something in the wiring harness failed after I tied in the minder/light. I'm thinking of making a new harness. The stock one was out in the elements for almost 18 years. Some of the wires under the insulation look pretty bad. I will let you guys know how things turn out.

I think something is dead 24 Nov 2006 12:28 #94568

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
On the KZ1000 wiring harnesses, there are essentially three types... one is the ST/MK II type where there are no junction plugs... everythig plugs in direct. The next type has the junction area on the battery box and most everythihg plugs in there. I suspect yours is this type. Of these, there are two styles of wiring harness. The first, has large white plugs to plug the switchgear into the harness. The other type harness has a BUNCH of individual wires that plug into a bunch of individual wires coming off the switchgear. Which type is on your bike? This is kind of important as the you would have to replace the switchgear as well...

Making a new wiring harness isn't trivial. Let me know which type you have as I have a good wiring harness and matching junction piece (with the colored plugs) that isn't hacked up.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

I think something is dead 24 Nov 2006 13:16 #94574

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
WG he has a 78 1000. Too bad no one makes a after-market harness for our bikes. :( It would be nice to get one and just plug it in and go.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

• Page: