Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

ARGGGGH 18 Nov 2006 15:40 #92991

• tnutz
  • tnutz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
decently nice weekend to putz around the city on the GPZ....had the battery out of the bike for 2 months charged it once about 3 weeks ago...thought it would be okay, put it in the bike.......NOTHING, no lights even. Now i can barely get enough charge in it off of the charger. it seems to hold enough to run things, but no cranking power. As soon as i put the charger on it in the bike and hit the start button, she fires right up. I was told this was a new battery. Do they go bad often???? or did i just get a lemon.:angry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ARGGGGH 18 Nov 2006 15:59 #92992

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
I never believed it until it actually happened to me, by any chance did you have it sitting on a cement floor? That actually does kill a battery.
If not is it full of water? Distilled of course. Also, if the top of the battery is damp, this will cause it to go dead also, the current will gradually short across the battery. A slow trickle charge should bring it back to life.
I have even seen cases where if you hook a 12 volt bulb inline between the post and one of the charging cables so the power has to go through the battery to light the bulb it will help revive it.
Good luck,
Les
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

ARGGGGH 18 Nov 2006 16:23 #92998

• tnutz
  • User
wasn't on cement, topped the water off with distilled right after i took it out. maybe i will try to charge it again tomorrow. if not i guess i buy a new one.

ARGGGGH 19 Nov 2006 19:03 #93305

• tnutz
  • User
well, put in the battery out of the ole ladys gs 550..waay smaller battery too, and it fired first time easily. SO obviously this battery is pooched. I charged it for half an hour and it hardly light up a 12 volt bulb. supposed to be a new battery too. Water level is good..so hopfully warranty will replace it.

ARGGGGH 19 Nov 2006 19:06 #93308

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
  • Thank you received: 19
These small MC batteries are pretty cheap and don't go for more than two seasons usually without some if not all of the performance gone out of them. One dying is a season is no big surprise to me either.
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

ARGGGGH 19 Nov 2006 19:08 #93311

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
F.Y.I...most battery warranties are usually about a year from purchase date.Some are only 9 months.
I'd get it replaced as soon as You can.B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

ARGGGGH 20 Nov 2006 23:38 #93665

• inline79
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Did you check your charging system? Could be it doesn't charge the battery well and the battery was already partially discharged when you took it off the bike.

A month partially discharged will wreck a battery. This one's already hooped. Check that charging system!

ARGGGGH 21 Nov 2006 00:17 #93667

• grace1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
g,day
just a thought mate ,depends on your charger output you may have to leave it on charger a lot longer than you think
i know when my deep cycle boat batt goes low it takes a long time to top it up again
chk your charger out put in amps
good luck
graemeB)
bendigo australia, gold mine country
MY COLLECTION 1978 B3 KZ750 AND 1980 GS1000G

. 21 Nov 2006 06:02 #93691

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
del

Last edit: by JMKZHI.

ARGGGGH 21 Nov 2006 17:47 #93881

• tnutz
  • User
charging system on my bike is fine. i had the dealer check it when i bought it. i had the battery load tested today...it's gone. So warranty got me a new one.

ARGGGGH 21 Nov 2006 17:49 #93884

• tnutz
  • User
charging system on my bike is fine. i had the dealer check it when i bought it. i had the battery load tested today...it's gone. So warranty got me a new one.

• Page: