Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

ignition system 05 Nov 2006 21:27 #89913

• davedottnet
  • davedottnet's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I've got a 78 Kawasaki KZ 650 that I'm working on and it doesn't run. Besides the fact that the starter doesnt work, and front break master cylinder needs rebuilding, I have determined that the reason that the bike doesn't start is in the ignition system, seeing as I have no spark.
I'm still trying to understand how the whole ignition system completely, but I am pretty sure that the problem may lie in the condensors. I think I read or heard somewhere that the condensors can be tested buy charging them on a battery for a little bit (I did for about 15 seconds) and then seeing if it arcs when you touch the wire to the body of the condenser. Is this correct? I want to know if I am testing the condensers correctly, becuase they didn't arc for me. If they are shot, hopefully that is my only ignition problem. Any insight on my situation would be appreciated. Below is a picture of the condensors. Does the fact that they are connected affect anything?
Thanks--Dave

Post edited by: davedottnet, at: 2006/11/06 00:30
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ignition system 05 Nov 2006 21:33 #89914

• davedottnet
  • User
Heres the image that didn't work before.

Post edited by: davedottnet, at: 2006/11/06 00:34
Attachments:

ignition system 06 Nov 2006 04:45 #89929

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Condensors are the last thing I would suspect.

If you have one of those small lights for checking for power(also good for setting dwell), make sure you have power at the coils and across the points.

-Duck

ignition system 06 Nov 2006 06:30 #89942

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Reply from the other (duplicate) thread so I can delete it.

SpokeWheel650B wrote:

Hi Dave,
Check that you have power at the points themselves. The coils are the voltage source for the points sets and will at least give you somewhere to start. Even with dodgy condensers I would think you would still have power to the contacts? Key on engine off test.

good luck!

KD9JUR

ignition system 06 Nov 2006 06:53 #89945

• davedottnet
  • User
How exactly do I go about testing the points and the coils? I'm not really all that electrically inclined. I'm guessing that I am going to need to get a multimeter, or would just a little test light work? Where do I actually connect the tester wires to to perform the test? Am I testing resistance on the coils, or something else?
I'm in my first semester of college at UW Platteville to be a mechanical engineer, and I haven't gotten a class that clears up some of this electrical stuff for me yet. The fact that I'm in college also means that I wont be able to work on the bike for a couple weeks, untill I go home. So any info/directions I can get will really help me because of my limited time to work on the bike. Thanks a lot.

ignition system 06 Nov 2006 08:17 #89963

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
While everything is connected up properly, look at the points while trying to start it. Are there sparks at the points?
If yes, then you know you have power to the points through the coils. If it sparks a lot then it could be the condenser. As Duck said, the condenser would be the last thing I would suspect, but it is still on the list of suspects.

Wiring and connections would be the first on the list, then the points themselves, then the battery, then the coils, then the condensers.

ignition system 06 Nov 2006 09:26 #89975

• davedottnet
  • User
What would my next step be if there is no spark at the points when I check? Does that mean a bad connection, or something else? I have double checked my connections and as far as I can tell they are all good. I did have to install a new wiring harness, though so there is the possibility that a connection somewhere isnt seated properly.

ignition system 06 Nov 2006 10:13 #89979

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The next step is to get a cheap voltmeter if you don't already have one. Then verify these voltages. This diagram shows the basic circuit. You want to verify the voltages at the positive side of the coils (yellow or red wire). Then the black wire and green wire at the points.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/11/09 03:17
Attachments:

ignition system 06 Nov 2006 11:40 #90008

• davedottnet
  • User
awesome! Thanks! That diagram will help I'm sure. If the voltages aren't what they are supposed to be, the problem will be between that testing point and the last good one, right?
I will try to post my results when I get home to try this, but that probably wont be till thanksgiving. If anyone has any other ideas keep em coming. I really appreciate it.

ignition system 07 Nov 2006 04:16 #90200

• heartless
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
if you have replaced the wiring harness, i would go back and double check all your connections to start with, make sure everything is connected well. Also, make sure your battery has a full charge, and the connections there are good and clean. Then go thru and do the tests as outlined by loudhvx.

• Page: