Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Gauges - smaller mechanical?? 28 Oct 2006 09:16 #87999

• MattBlack
  • MattBlack's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi guys, I'm looking for some smaller gauges to use on my 77 KZ650. The stock ones never worked that well and are to big for the look I'm going for which is to have this bike as clean as possible.

Does anyone know where I can get a smaller MECHANICAL Tach + Speedo that will work on the KZs drive ratios? (which I'm of what they even are)

I've looked around, but being realatively new to this "finding bike parts for old bikes game", I haven't had much luck.

Thanks in advance as always!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gauges - smaller mechanical?? 28 Oct 2006 09:30 #88004

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
I'm pretty sure places like dragspecialties.com and the like carry something along those lines.

Or you could always just get a mechanical speedo like is used on mountain bikes.

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2006/10/28 12:30
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Gauges - smaller mechanical?? 28 Oct 2006 10:09 #88018

• duncan
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
the last part of my project is to install smaller (and lower)gauges too. the stock kz1000 gauges are too big, and mounted too high on the bike IMHO.

old bike barn has some generic smaller mechanical gauges. i hear the internal lighting isn't very good, but i don't ride after dark anyway (too many drunk drivers). BTW i think i've seen them cheaper elsewhere.

www.oldbikebarn.com/motorcycle_parts.php...egory=Gauges&Start=0

i'm trying to figure out how to switch to smaller gauges but still have an idiot/warning light panel of some sort.

i prefer the old school analog look, but this is a pretty nice electrical unit that includes both gauges and all the idiot lights in a single unit:
www.electrosport.com/electrosport_speedo_2700.html

Post edited by: duncan, at: 2006/10/28 13:20

Gauges - smaller mechanical?? 28 Oct 2006 12:48 #88053

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
JP Cycles sells a great variety of "mini-gauges" (that is what they are called.. www.jpcycles.com - Drag Specialties doesn't sell to the publich and most of the mini-gauges are Drag Specialties brand I think. I suggest getting the speedometer with a resetable trip odometer to keep track of miles between fill ups and there is also one with little LEDs installed so you can hook up your idiot lights. I used these gauges on a Vulcan I owned and they work well.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Gauges - smaller mechanical?? 29 Oct 2006 12:33 #88315

• MattBlack
  • MattBlack's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks guys, looks like I have more options than I first thought. I even found a local dealer in my city that can get them in for me. Also the ones with the idiot lights like you mentioned WG.

Thanks for the help as always guys. B)

• Page: