Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ1000E ST wiring question 21 Oct 2006 15:19 #86045

• wiredgeorge
  • wiredgeorge's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Got the wiring on my project bike and everything seems to work OK. Had some initial issues. Right hand switch gear has a short somewhere and it was causing the main fuse to blow. Put another switchgear on and that fixed that problem. The horn button is a toggling type (not a push button). I couldn't figure out how to get this button out of the left switchgear and its contact produces a fairly poor ground after a bath in contact cleaner but the horn now works. Last problem I am stumped on...

Problem: The right brake lever has an electrical switch for the rear brake light. The switch has two wires; a brown and a blue. The brown isn't a problem as its mate hangs off the main harness. The brown is switch 12VDC that doesn't go through the kill switch. The blue wire is the problem. There doesn't seem to be a blue wire to plug into from the main harness. The blue should be a wire going back direct to the brake light connector. I have already cleaned and wrapped the harness and don't want to rip it up.

QUESTION 1:
For any ST owner, where does the front brake light switch plug in? There doesn't seem to be a blue wire running back to the brake light in the headlight shell section of wire nor on the main harness. Any help would be appreciated!

QUESTION 2:
In general, I am running the main harness below the tank mount along the left lower frame rail. I am running the right switchgear through the hole in the bike's neck to the left side. Does anyone have a pic of the way the harness runs along the frame above the engine with enough detail to get me running the harness where they did from the factory? I looked through my manuals and can't find a pic...wish I had taken one when I tore the thing apart last Jan.

Thanks wg
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ1000E ST wiring question 21 Oct 2006 17:09 #86074

• wireman
  • Visitor
i dont have a manual for that model but the older kzs also use a brown hot wire and blue switched leg that goes to taillight/brakelight.can you go from blue wire at taillight and buzz your spare wires to see if you have continuity through one of them?;)

KZ1000E ST wiring question 21 Oct 2006 18:11 #86098

• KZReeder
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
wg, I'll pop the tank off my bike tomorrow and take a couple pics...

KZ1000E ST wiring question 22 Oct 2006 06:04 #86189

• wiredgeorge
  • User
wireman, I know how to find the blue and brown wires I am needing. There just didn't appear to be any blue wires on the switch end to plug into. There is one blue wire in the vicinity and it is the one that powers the headlight. I can't find the one coming from the brake light. If needed, I can run another blue wire back there and splice it in. The brake switch for the rear brake is working fine.

KZReeder! Thanks... wish I had though of taking those darn pics when I disassembled last Jan... !
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

KZ1000E ST wiring question 22 Oct 2006 08:59 #86229

• wireman
  • Visitor
i was just thinking maybe the blue wire might of gotten sliced with a differant color wire at some point and it would be easier to find that way

KZ1000E ST wiring question 22 Oct 2006 16:52 #86337

• KZReeder
  • User
wiredgeorge wrote:

KZReeder! Thanks... wish I had though of taking those darn pics when I disassembled last Jan... !

WG... it rained all day here and the bike is parked outside under a cover... no pictures yet.

KZ1000E ST wiring question 22 Oct 2006 17:00 #86340

• KZReeder
  • User
In the mean time... be inspired B)

Post edited by: KZReeder, at: 2006/10/22 20:03
Attachments:

KZ1000E ST wiring question 22 Oct 2006 19:52 #86394

• wiredgeorge
  • User
wireman, Sorry I was so crabby... Your point is well taken and I always appreciate your valuable advice. It made me think some so I went out to the project after watching 3 quarters of Redskins stinking up the field in Indy and looked in the headlight shell... there was indeed a blue wire in there that goes to the brake light but there was no brown wire... there IS a blown/blue which is 12VDC coming off the switched so I hooked up the switch there. I had problems getting the switch to work smoothly because of wear on the brake lever and had to clean up and use a different brake lever. I don't much care for those electrical switches but it works now fine.

KZReeder - Don't worry about the pics. I figured out how the harness must go. From the front of the bike, I believe it comes out of the bucket and below the left tank mount and then down the middle of the frame. I think both switchgear connectors go into the frame neck via the two holes with the grommets and connect in there. I ran the harness back along the center of the bike and then it splits back of the tank... one leg goes over to the reg/rec and stuff over there and one leg comes back on the left side and ends up feeding the turn signal relay and farther back, the tail light stuff. I finished all of that stuff and worked on some other minor stuff...

Anyway, thanks to both of you for your offer of assistance and good advice.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

KZ1000E ST wiring question 22 Oct 2006 20:39 #86409

• wireman
  • Visitor
as long as it works now,thats the important thing.;)

KZ1000E ST wiring question 23 Oct 2006 06:17 #86458

• wiredgeorge
  • User
Nah... the important thing is treating folks the right way. You are one of the good guys! Thanks again for the help.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: