Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

coils 17 Oct 2006 04:22 #84883

• rubberlips
  • rubberlips's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
hellow eveyone,i have a z650sr 1980 with 32000 miles.i have just changed the valve shims,cleaned the carbs all new needles everything and tuned them.new points and condenser.the bike ran great for about ten minutes now it's as bad as ever.could it be the coils that are my problem i noticed they were quite hot after a couple of minutes.any sugestions.thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

coils 17 Oct 2006 04:58 #84886

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
rubberlips wrote:

...ran great for about ten minutes now it's as bad as ever....

Welcome to the forum!
Can you give a description of *how* it's running bad?
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

coils 17 Oct 2006 05:23 #84889

• rubberlips
  • User
hellow thanks for reply.the bike is running hot,and very poor throttle responce.

coils 17 Oct 2006 06:37 #84900

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Welcome.

Check to make sure your carb hoses are all in the right places, and that the caps on the carb to engine manifolds are all on (or hoses to the emmision thingies?) are all hooked up. Also for any leaks or cracks in the manifolds or the runners to the air box. You can try spraying WD40 around the carbs as the engine is idling. If there is a rise in RPM when you spray, you've got a leak.

The coil resistance can be checked on the primary and secondary sides (feeding wires and spark plug wires) for correct resistance. I don't know the figures off hand, but a search may turn up the figures. I could look in a manual later.

Just check that your getting a nice bright blue spark from each plug. Pull all the plugs, put them into the spark plug wires, lay them on the cylinder head and turn over the engine with the starter in a dimly lighted area and you'll see if their sparking well or not.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

coils 17 Oct 2006 06:50 #84904

• rubberlips
  • User
hellow,i checked coils with a multimeter ,power going into the coils cant get any reading coming out of the plug lead.to yer knowledge would coils alone cause the problems i mentioned.i will do your test though with the spark plugs, and thanks.

• Page: