Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A return to points 14 Oct 2006 18:05 #84354

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Also, just for the record, none of the units in question are actually CDI (Capacitive Discharge Ignition). They are transistorized Kettering ignitions.

CDI's were used on some of the 2 stroke Kawasaki's, where the blistering-high voltage cut through the two-stroke muck better. The problem with CDI is the low-energy (even though it is capable of higher voltage). KZ's usually do better with Kettering ignitions.

(MSDI is the modern solution to the CDI's low energy.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A return to points 14 Oct 2006 22:21 #84391

• Bicycle Lee
  • Bicycle Lee's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
thanks for all your input, but I'm going to points, no question.
if I end up hating it, you can say I told you so, but everything my mechanic has said has been reliable and true.
1978 KZ1000 police

A return to points 14 Oct 2006 23:20 #84396

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Not to put too fine a point on it (pun intended), but here's what Z1 Enterprizes says about the Dyna S:

1 year factory warranty - for Kawasaki Z1 KZ900 KZ1000 KZ1100 - set and forget - no more messing with points... creates a stronger more consistent spark

Would never say I told you so about preferring the older technology 'cause I still sometimes opt for the kick starter, especially when surrounded by a Harley crowd at a Sturgis or Daytona gas station when most of them don't even have a kick starter any more -- and some don't even know what one is (that would mostly be the guys not limping on their right leg). Just let the testosterone flow -- one elaborate magnificient grandious kick springing it to life -- while they timidly lower their eyes and ashamedly "push their little buttons"

Good Luck with your points and condensers, and Happy Trails. (Pssst, would you like to buy a good set of points?)

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2006/10/15 08:13
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

A return to points 15 Oct 2006 05:41 #84408

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
Well.... from the looks of things it seems like a 8 to 1 ratio or thereabouts against the points. Maybe we could get the mechanic on here to explain how he came up with the theory of points being more reliable and a better spark. Maybe he has had multiple failures of E ignitions. Seems pretty clear your mind is made up and I truly respect that. Heck, if it catches on I have a few points plates around here I might get some coinage for. Cool!:whistle:

A return to points 15 Oct 2006 07:00 #84422

• mariozappa
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
POINTS RULE!!!!
I don't have to fiddle and cuss with mine.
AND if they go out, they are replacable for cheap.
The ONE time the electric goes out, it gonna cost big $$$ and your stuck right where you are.
Now I feel I have jinxed myself and my points are due to fail this weekend!
:S

Post edited by: mariozappa, at: 2006/10/15 10:01
1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

A return to points 15 Oct 2006 09:03 #84438

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
When it comes to *anything* having to do with electrons, I subcribe to a principle thunk up by a pretty smart feller named Heisenburg - which simply stated says you never can be quite sure just what the hell the little bastards 'll do.

It's a certified lock that if you switch your meter to volts, they'll convert to amps - just to piss you off.

Points-CDI-CDI-Points. Take your pick. One gives you a little hotter spark without an amp, the other is less complex mechanically. One requires a bit of attention every so often, the other will run fine forever - until one side or the other quits just for the fun of it - usually at least 30 miles from home.

Either way, sooner or later, they'll all change their little names to Lucas and magically disappear from this corner of space/time.... :woohoo:

...ornery little buggers
Attachments:

A return to points 15 Oct 2006 09:52 #84447

• Leather
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Well as to points plates and fiddleing wiht them . I guess after dealing wihtt eh ol' trident and a plate with THREE sets of Lucas*Oh Prince of Darkness*to get right and lubed. a simple set up for a KZ seems Oh so easy to me. Sorry if I seem like ol freddy flintston about the nes stuff. I mean after all I'm runing an Electroninc Ign. in my 80.. but also remember the time it crapped out on me in boonineville... was just lucky there was a bone yard not to far off that had a Gpz with a plate in it I could buy and swap. Stil tho it took me a good day and an evening to get some one to give me a ride out there and back , and swap out the offending part, where as if I'd had a set of old points it was what? fifteen mins to do a swap? Just my thoughts on it. ;)

A return to points 15 Oct 2006 10:11 #84454

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Well, electronic ignition modules do not have to cost a lot. A spare HEI is only $10 or $15. A set of points and condensers can easily cost that much. And keeping a spare is not any harder than keeping a spare set of points. Swapping 3 electrical spade connections is easier and faster than swapping a set of points and you don't even need any tools. And you don't need to time it either. The HEI definitely gives a hotter spark than points too. And if you're in a pinch, you can walk into any Murray's, Autozone, or Pepboys and they are guaranteed to have an HEI module on the shelf waiting for you, no way they're going to have a set of points and condenser for a KZ. The HEI modules have been in production since the early '70's so they are proven, and in the KZ application they are barely stressed compared to a v-8 Chevy application.

But I realize points are easier to understand for most folks and that piece of mind counts for a lot.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/10/15 13:17

A return to points 15 Oct 2006 11:25 #84480

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
What he said....
I also have dealt with Lucas Belzabub on my 72 Trident and kept promising myself to get a e-ign. Now dosen't matter much but I wish she had one.

Besides what would Scotty say if he lifted a panel on the Enterprise and there were 1,000 sets of points?
I'll tell you what he'd say
"WTF! There goes another week!"

A return to points 15 Oct 2006 11:30 #84482

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
What if a phasor required it to be wound up first?

A return to points 15 Oct 2006 13:00 #84500

• Bicycle Lee
  • Bicycle Lee's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
just got home from the shop and boy was that a great ride. My clutch is still shot, but the new kit is in the mail and will be installed by next weekend. Now I just need to get some new handlebars, mine are way too low.
1978 KZ1000 police

A return to points 16 Oct 2006 05:00 #84643

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
trade you bars mine are way too high
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.