Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A return to points 13 Oct 2006 09:55 #83951

• Bicycle Lee
  • Bicycle Lee's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I just bought a 78 KZ1000 police bike that has been converted from points to a dyna ignition. The bike hadn't been ridden for a while and after I got a little work done to it (turned into a hardtail, cleaned the engine out; carbs, plugs, tank, plugged a petcock and replaced the broken starter button) I drove it home and BOY was it fun....but after returning home it wouldn't start. Thunder Rick (my mechanic) told me that the CDI had died and sure enough, no spark in the plugs. I wanna switch back to points and bought a points plate tune up kit on ebay, but still need some parts. Does anyone know where I can find these online? Or am I going to need to go to the bone yard?
1978 KZ1000 police

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A return to points 13 Oct 2006 12:57 #83988

• Bob_79KZ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I think returning to points may be a good idea. The only maintenance they require is an occasional adjustment. You can do that anywhere.

With electronic ignition, when it quits you are done riding no matter where you are.

Try doing a search for 'police bike parts' on the web. There are several but I can't recall thier names. There's nothing wrong with used parts from the bone yard. Points plates should be really cheap.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Because the simple stuff always works.

Enjoy the ride,
Bob

A return to points 13 Oct 2006 13:04 #83989

• Bicycle Lee
  • User
thanks, Bob. I'm really excited about getting it done. Thunder Rick said that it would get more spark with the points too...especially since I bought the bike with racing coils. Maybe when I get it done I'll ride through Boise...I'm down in Salt Lake
1978 KZ1000 police

A return to points 13 Oct 2006 13:20 #83998

• Bob_79KZ
  • User
Great!!! Let us know how it works out.

My bike is tore down for the winter I'm afraid. I have
to replace the cam chain, put on a new rear tire and brake rotor and replace one bad coil. Its slow going when you're on a budget!

Keep the sunny side up!
Bob

A return to points 13 Oct 2006 21:28 #84158

• Bicycle Lee
  • User
yeah I budgeted myself 1000 for a bike, picked this one up for 500, put about 400 in so far, and I think I'll come in JUST over budget and just in time for the snow....hahaha....
I'll post pics when it's ready. :)
1978 KZ1000 police

A return to points 13 Oct 2006 21:34 #84161

• wireman
  • Visitor
id stick with electronic ignition my self.more reliable,better ignition;)

A return to points 14 Oct 2006 04:02 #84176

• Leather
  • User
Yeah but ya can jerry rig an electoninc ign if your out in boonieville! I can remember a night on the side of the highway with a now departed bud, rigging a magnetio points up enuff to get us to a truck stop and a better fix... Cant do that with the pack stuff.. Besides , if your real worried about points , ya carry a spare set in your tool roll along with a spare plug and a master link...:woohoo: :whistle: :huh:

A return to points 14 Oct 2006 04:34 #84179

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=202
if you want points but electronic is farrrr better
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

A return to points 14 Oct 2006 05:15 #84181

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
One of the first things I have always done if I get a bike with points is to get a electronic ignition. I put the points equiptment up on the shelf. I have only had one Elec.Ign fail on me and that was a 30 year old Martek. One side died and I could still get it home. All my elec. ign. were a one time set and forget. Easily paid for themselves in cost and maint.
It is up to you but methinks you have been steered a little off course..

A return to points 14 Oct 2006 09:11 #84234

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Yeah, those Marteks weren't exactly the most realiable.

I think the electronic ignitions from Kawasaki are the most reliable ones out there. The problem is the ignitors are now getting near 30 years old, so they are probably beyond their life expectancy. That's why I found a way to use GM HEI modules as a replacement. It's cheap enough that you can make two ignitors for less than $70. I bolt a spare on top of the functioning one. If it goes out, I can just swap some wires.

www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZgmHEImod.html

Nothing is indestructable, but the Kaw pickups are just coils of wire. That's the most reliable pickup type in common use. It will outlast the Hall effect pickups and LED sensor pickups.

The only pickup more reliable would be to use the points as a trigger for an electronic ignition. They won't burn, arc, or wear like normal points applications. Here's how you can use your points to trigger an electronic ignition.

www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZheiModForPoints.html

I have 4 designs there. One is the bare-minium design. #2 adds a bypass switch which allows you to flip a switch to restore the points to their normal operation in case the ignitor goes belly up. #3 adds an LED so you can do static timing without a timing light. #4 is the one to use, it adds a time-out feature which is important in case you leave the ignition on while the engine is stopped.

With points, in their normal operation, you know they will wear out like clockwork. It's just a matter of several thousand miles. Some stock electronic ignitions haven't been touched since the bike left the factory... but then it could go at any minute. I can see why some would prefer to go with points.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/10/14 12:36

A return to points 14 Oct 2006 10:46 #84252

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
I'd definately stay electronic. My personal experience with KZs and electronic ignition mileage estimates.
Stock Kawasaki electronic 110,000 miles, failures=0
Dyna 3 electronic 170,000 miles, failures=1
Dyna S electronic 40,000 miles, failures=0
Points ignitions 15,000 miles, failures=0 (amount of times fidling, cussing, changing points, lubing ect,=100
Not a bad track record in my book.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

A return to points 14 Oct 2006 14:47 #84279

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Howdy. After 20 years' blissful freedom from the old points plate, managed to disinter it from the garage mausoleum just to hold and ponder for moment. Here's hoping you escape the potentially gonad frosting experience of replacing the CDI with the OEM point system and still have no spark. But let's say Thunder Rick's diagnosis is spot on, whereupon you might wish to consider replacing with another CDI (maybe Dyna S) and just carry along for emergency use a zip-lock bagged OEM backing plate complete with points, condensers, lead wire and breaker cam, at least until building trust in the CDI unit. Following quick and easy installation, have used the Dyna S (there may be better ones out there) for over twenty trouble-free years. With deepest sympathy to the ever faithful point and condenser crowd, it is indeed a pleasure to again bid fond farewell to the old points plate, and may it R.I.P.

Good Luck and Happy Trails.
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD