Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Spark plugs 11 Oct 2006 18:27 #83546

• kzwolfsr
  • kzwolfsr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
how would compression affect spark plugs with certain gaps? Would a spark plug be affected by compression with a wider gap than one with a smaller gap? My plugs aregapped to 35 instead of 28 to 32 as spec because i wanted a faster start and the choke kept flooding the plugs
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Spark plugs 12 Oct 2006 12:21 #83721

• vegasjetskier
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
kzwolfsr wrote:

how would compression affect spark plugs with certain gaps? Would a spark plug be affected by compression with a wider gap than one with a smaller gap? My plugs aregapped to 35 instead of 28 to 32 as spec because i wanted a faster start and the choke kept flooding the plugs

The higher the compression the more difficult it will be for the spark to jump any given gap. This is because the air will be more dense. A wider gap is advisable only if your ignition system is capable of firing the spark across that gap. If your system is stock or marginal, you may create a missfire condition by widening the gap. For your situation, I would return the gap to stock or perhaps a little below stock. If the choke is causing the plugs to missfire, either the ignition system is incapable of firing the plugs properly at the gap they were set, or the choke is being left on too long. Narrowing the gap will help the ignition system cope with the rich mixture, but you must make sure you turn off the choke as soon as the engine is warmed up enough to run with it off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: