Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New Dyna coils 11 Oct 2006 10:24 #83467

• kzmason
  • kzmason's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So I have decided to buy new coils and do the coil repowering mod. $5 more (at z1e) isn't that much, and was considering going to the 3ohm mini's. I have the old Dyna III ignition and was wondering if there is any reason to stick with the standard size Dyna's? Oh, I called Dyna, and the were the ones who told me to use 3ohm coils with the Dyna III ignition.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Dyna coils 11 Oct 2006 11:00 #83475

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Small mini coils are not designed to handle the type of dwell on the Dyna S ignition. They will burn up.

I'm not familiar with the Dyna mini coils, but assuming they are like other mini coils (Newology etc. sp?), they are meant to be used with more sophisticated ignitions like the Dyna 2000 or 3000.

New Dyna coils 11 Oct 2006 19:10 #83558

• Bob_79KZ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Not to be a smart ass but, I'd sure like to hear the thought process that went into deciding to use mini coils instead of full size. What in the world could be the big selling point for mini's.

Is the bike too small for full size?

Talk about setting yourself up for a break-down...that would just about assure it.

Just curious...

Bob

New Dyna coils 11 Oct 2006 19:20 #83564

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Bob_79KZ wrote:

Not to be a smart ass but, I'd sure like to hear the thought process that went into deciding to use mini coils instead of full size. What in the world could be the big selling point for mini's.

Is the bike too small for full size?

Talk about setting yourself up for a break-down...that would just about assure it.

Just curious...

Bob

I think I read that they were designed with custom choppers in mind where they are trying to hide all the electrics. easier to hid something smaller... most of those choppers are trailer queens anyway and not driven much....
Scott
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

New Dyna coils 12 Oct 2006 10:24 #83698

• kzmason
  • kzmason's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
straight from z1e

Dyna Dual Output 3.0 Ohm Mini Coils (pair) DC1-2
DYDC1-2

Dynatek

- - - - - -

3 ohm mini black coils. Smaller and lighter than the DC1-1 coils, these are ideal for drag racing applications. Fatter spark means smoother running and less chance of fouling a plug. See below for plug wires.
Check the resistance of the coils you are replacing to ensure a correct match. These coils are designed for use with the Dyna 2000 and 3000 series ignitions, factory installed electronics, or other after-market ignitions that employ dwell control They should not be used with the Dyna-S ignitions. If you have questions if these are correct, please call us or Dynatek at 1-800-928-3962
Never select a coil with a lower resistance than your ignition system - this will cause the coils to overheat and burn out... It is OK to select coils with a slightly higher resistance.

• Page: