Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

mechanical advance units compared? 10 Oct 2006 06:08 #83124

• wiredgeorge
  • wiredgeorge's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I am going to be putting a Dyna S on my 79 KZ1000E1 ST soon. The bike comes from the factory with a mechanical advance that only has timing marks for 1/4 cylinders as the electronic ignition that came on the bike isn't adjustable for timing. I seem to recall a discussion in the past that compared the various mechanical advance units as far as advance curves go. I probably have at least one of most of them and was considering a swap to one of them but would like to stay near as possible to the stock advance curve. Does anyone have this info regarding curves and identifying the various advance units?
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mechanical advance units compared? 10 Oct 2006 11:59 #83218

• wiredgeorge
  • User
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

mechanical advance units compared? 10 Oct 2006 18:23 #83341

• Bob_79KZ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Whoa WG....you'd better jump on that deal...only $120.00
Whew....

Bob

mechanical advance units compared? 11 Oct 2006 06:18 #83427

• wiredgeorge
  • User
Bob, I already jumped on "that deal"... bought Dyna coils, Dyna S and Dyna plug wires/caps from Jeff at www.z1enterprises.com - I know a bit about saving money and my experience over the years tells me that a new ignition system using decent components is the way to save money on a bike I am building. I ride roads where there isn't much traffic and no cell phone coverage and don't feel like carrying a spare ignition. While spending a few hundred bucks may seem excessive when you can buy a used IC igniter and used coils from an eBay auction, I look at it as a bargain because of the peace of mind. I suspect I already own more used coils, IC igniters, and other used Kaw ignition components than most folks and just don't feel comfortable installing this junk on a bike I own. Unfortunately, due to my vocation as a mechanic, I know how to test the stuff and find very, very little of the older OEM stuff that maintains it original specs... Sure, I could do some checking and find substitute stuff that would work off a Chevy or a Dodge or something but why bother? The Dyna stuff is proven, fits well and works. Its just the way I like to spend a little of my hard earned money... I have been wrenching on bikes for almost 40 years and have always been funny like that! bwhahaha Kinda nuts, huh? I save money by buying cheap overalls and not used or non-motorcycle specific ignition components. hehe
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

mechanical advance units compared? 11 Oct 2006 07:53 #83442

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
wiredgeorge wrote:

...I save money by buying cheap overalls and not used or non-motorcycle specific ignition components. hehe

WG. Since you live in a warm part of the USA, you might save even more $ by dispensing with the overalls altogether and working in your skivvies. Maybe save enough for an EFI system :-)

Post edited by: Duck, at: 2006/10/11 10:54

mechanical advance units compared? 11 Oct 2006 11:44 #83484

• wiredgeorge
  • User
I have been known to work in gym shorts on occasion but keep in mind that I use a lot of carb cleaner and other chemicals... Not so nice on the skin...
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

mechanical advance units compared? 11 Oct 2006 18:58 #83553

• Bob_79KZ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
WG: I riden motorcycles for over 30 years and I've owned nearly every brand. NEVER, EVER, have I had any ignition failures of any nature.

And no one in our club EVER had an ignition failure. I guess we are all just really lucky.

But, I'd sure like to have some of those coils that you hold in such distain. Don't throw them away. Just box them up and send them to me. I can probably get them to last another 20 years at least.

Why do I need them? Cause the guy that owned the bike before me made a real mess out of the ignition parts. But I'm putting it back to stock, cause stock just keeps going and going and going....

Bob

• Page: