Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lovely grinding sound 26 Sep 2006 08:15 #79717

• Sixgun
  • Sixgun's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Rode into work this morning and had this lovely grinding sound I noticed at low speed. Kinda gravelly, and I knew what it was. Got to work, parked the bike, then tried the electric start......whhizzzzzzzzzzz. Oh great. I believe the starter clutch has given up the ghost finally. Starter still spins at a high speed, but no catchy.

Anyone have a recomendation where I should start looking for parts for this. 78 KZ 750 B3. I'll check around myself but if anyone has any advice it will be much appreciated.

Thank the Lord for kickstarts.
78 KZ750 B3
81 XS650SH
80 XS650G

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lovely grinding sound 26 Sep 2006 08:28 #79721

• cary
  • User
park on a hill.

Lovely grinding sound 26 Sep 2006 08:28 #79722

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
Oof. Yes, this is what I fear... I have not used my electric starts since... well, I can't remember. One *kinda* works, the other is toast...

Anyway, the one online retailer I knew of that had them went out of stock some time ago. ...and I can't remember who that was now anyway. However, the same starter clutch parts fit other bikes as well, but I don't have my x-reference software at work. You can look it up on the new lovely buykawasaki.com site though... where you can now cross-reference since they updated it... Here's the link .

EDIT: Wondering here: can't you just remove the springs and rollers and be done with it?

Post edited by: Biquetoast, at: 2006/09/26 11:29
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Lovely grinding sound 29 Sep 2006 10:33 #80482

• Sixgun
  • Sixgun's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks for the link.
I'll start doing my homework. Lucky for me we have a bike graveyard nearby. I might have to buy a couple of clutches to make a nice complete one. If worse comes to worse a couple of work buddies of mine have a good machine shop.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes
78 KZ750 B3
81 XS650SH
80 XS650G

• Page: