Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Generator rotor problems 23 Sep 2006 06:50 #78918

• rammy
  • rammy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
HELP I need to remove the rotor off the crank and save it to use on a donor engine since the OEM one desided to go on a perminate vacation (spun a rod bearing). What is the thread size and pitch?? The generator is bigger than the alternator style. Thanks in advance.
The barn yard;77 Kz650B-1 Kaw(the fun one) & 89 classic hog.
Chicago area-south burbs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Generator rotor problems 23 Sep 2006 10:10 #78945

• wireman
  • Visitor
try the big bolt in center of triple tree and a big ball bearing;)

Generator rotor problems 23 Sep 2006 13:18 #78979

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Actually, since the threaded hole the ball bearing will be fitted into, it is a great idea to not have too big a ball bearing; especially if an impact driver is used because if the ball bearing is the same size as the thread (a wheel bearing ball bearing is about the same size), the bearing will be driven into the thread and it is sort of hard to get out once lodged in the thread. A ball bearing CAN NOT repeat CAN NOT be drilled with a carbide bit nor is there enough room to use a grinding stone. One possible removal tip would be to grind the exposed edge and weld a large bolt to the ball bearing; perhaps an 8mm. Then use the impact driver to back it out and you will also need to clean up the threads. You can also grind a little with a dremmel/grinding stone and then use a carbide cutter to cut the ball bearing out. Take care not to nick the thread and work in the middle of the bearing. It might also be possible to hit the ball bearing with a tig welder and "blow it up".
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Generator rotor problems 27 Sep 2006 16:45 #80113

• rammy
  • rammy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks for the input and suggestions.I wound up using a axle the proper size and still pulled the treads out of the rotor.I did have sucess by welding a 1/2" nut to the outter edge of the rotor,heating the holy piss out of it and hitting it with the impact wrench. Thanks again for rhe suggestions.
The barn yard;77 Kz650B-1 Kaw(the fun one) & 89 classic hog.
Chicago area-south burbs

• Page: