Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Soft luggage hits 82 1000 LTD Rear Turn Signals 21 Sep 2006 05:02 #78406

• floridamba
  • floridamba's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I was just blessed with a set of Tourmaster soft luggage and tail bag. My 82 LTD has stock J-model turn signals with the longer (about 4") stems for the turn signals. I need to move them or put on other rear turn signals to make room for the luggage.

Can someone recommend a turn signal solution that will work in this type of arrangement? I was thinking of stock LTD turn signals from the front (I think it was used up to 1980) where they clamped to the handlebars. My rear grab rail is the same diameter as handlebars so that is an option.

I see a lot of the new LED types that I could also buy. I'm also wondering if there is an alternate way to mount the stockers to the tail light mount.

I'd appreciate your creative input!
If anyone has a set of the clamp-on LTD type signals I'd also be interested.

thanks!!!
See you at Biketoberfest. It's only about 4 weeks away.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Soft luggage hits 82 1000 LTD Rear Turn Signals 21 Sep 2006 05:52 #78422

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Go to JPCYCLES.COM and have a look... They used to carry a turn signal bar that could be mounted to a license plate frame. I think some of the frames themselves can work as turn signals (lights inside). The Harley boys have more solutions out there than the metric world.

Another solution would be to take a 2" aluminum bar and bend it over your rear frame rail. Put a piece of old inner tube UNDER the bent bar to give it a grip on the frame rail and drill a hole. Put a bolt through the hole and a lock washer or rubber grommet between the bar halves to give it some grip as well. Then drill another hole for your turn signal stalks. You will need to ground your stock turn signals to the frame itself as the ground won't be any good off this arrangement but you can then relocate the signals all the way back and hopefully behind the bags.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Soft luggage hits 82 1000 LTD Rear Turn Signals 21 Sep 2006 06:23 #78428

• floridamba
  • User
WG, thanks for the ideas.

JPCYCLES has some cool stuff including a license plate frame with integrated signals for $160.

I'll check more into your idea of building a bracket to mount them in a manner to not hit the bags. This would enable me to use the stock turn signals. Clamp-on's would be much easier but I'm not sure I would like the look.

I think I have a spare tail light bracket up in the attic. This piece is heavy sheet metal, and I was thinking of drilling holes in the side of it and mounting the stock signals to it on either side. I would use the stock rubber grommets to provide shock absorbtion. I'll check this out though I hate to trash a good tail light bracket.

Soft luggage hits 82 1000 LTD Rear Turn Signals 21 Sep 2006 06:41 #78433

• ScottZ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have an 82 750 Spectre and have been considering the same mod to the brake light bracket. After looking at it closely, I'm not sure if there is enough space for the stock turn signals to mount, although there are aftermarket models that have a smallet diameter shaft that should work great. Maybe something like this one?

www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=D...33-A586-A04C740630FB

Post edited by: ScottZ, at: 2006/09/21 09:45

Soft luggage hits 82 1000 LTD Rear Turn Signals 21 Sep 2006 18:51 #78609

• floridamba
  • User
Those look good but are single filament. I want duals so I can have them on for running lights. On a different style, how about these:

www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/P...19&productId=p212219

$20 for a pair and they are dual filament.

These are the stock Kaw LTD front signals that bolt onto the handlebars.... they could bolt onto the seat grab rail - on my bike it's 7/8" diameter. I didn't post the pic but they are $30 apiece.

I'm going to shop locally this weekend to see what I can find - something small would be good.

Soft luggage hits 82 1000 LTD Rear Turn Signals 21 Sep 2006 19:08 #78611

• ScottZ
  • User
Here is a question that might be good for floridamba, although he probably doesn't need the advice as much as I do. I want to replace the turn signals on my 82 750 also, but I'm at a loss when I look at the options out there...dual filament...single filament...LED.... What do I need for a direct replacement with no other changes? If I want to go LED, what do I need to do to make it work, or is it a direct plug-in?

Soft luggage hits 82 1000 LTD Rear Turn Signals 21 Sep 2006 20:00 #78632

• bob_z1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
floridamba wrote:

I think I have a spare tail light bracket up in the attic. This piece is heavy sheet metal, and I was thinking of drilling holes in the side of it and mounting the stock signals to it on either side. I would use the stock rubber grommets to provide shock absorbtion. I'll check this out though I hate to trash a good tail light bracket.

that's how I did it on my KZ1100 way back when.....
worked good and looked factory on that bike.

`

Soft luggage hits 82 1000 LTD Rear Turn Signals 22 Sep 2006 03:42 #78679

• floridamba
  • User
Well... I don't have a spare LTD bracked so that's out at least for now.

When replacing your stock setup, if your turn signals stay on like running lights, and flash brightly for turn signals, you have dual-filament bulbs (this is true for older bikes anyway, the new LED's are different).

I understand that if you use LED bulbs you need some kind of circuit balancer that costs around $20 to $40. They don't draw enough amps for the stock flasher unit. I'd appreciate it if someone can explain it better as I may end up with a pair of LED's in back and stockers in the front.

I'm concerned about anything that will reduce my visibility though, that's why I want to go with dual filament units.

Soft luggage hits 82 1000 LTD Rear Turn Signals 22 Sep 2006 07:07 #78708

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Did your bike come setup with rear running lights originally? Make sure rear running lights are legal in your state before you buy them and have to rewire the back lights.

My 650 just has dual filament front running lights/blinkers, the rear lights are just single filaments for blinkers. I believe amber colored, rear running lights are illegal, at the national level?? Maybe I'm wrong, but you should check it out.

Some cops get picky about lights. A buddy got a ticket for having blue lights on the front of his Star. Cop said, " If it isn't stock, you get a ticket."
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Soft luggage hits 82 1000 LTD Rear Turn Signals 22 Sep 2006 08:36 #78723

• floridamba
  • User
Kent, mine has running lights front and rear.. I'm not sure it's stock as the LTD doesn't have stock turn signals. The PO put on J-Model signals from my year and they look good. He's got the back ones wired as dual filaments. I guess I'll need to check with buykawasaki to see what actually came on the bike. If they're illegal, I don't need any hassle and it would give me some other options with a single filament bulb.

Does anyone know a method to mount a turn signal to the seat grab rail? Mine is 7/8" diameter just like handlebars....

I might try the soft luggage and just zip-tie the stockers vertically to either side of the grab rail to see if I like the luggage. Crude but effective.

Soft luggage hits 82 1000 LTD Rear Turn Signals 22 Sep 2006 18:06 #78834

• floridamba
  • User
I thought I made a mistake and I was wrong... er I was right! The back ones do not function as running lights... so I can easily put on a set of LED or bulb turn signals in the back...

Does anyone know how a set of stock turnsignals in the front and LED's in the back would work? Would I need any special epectrical stuff?

thanks for all your help

Fmba

Soft luggage hits 82 1000 LTD Rear Turn Signals 23 Sep 2006 12:43 #78975

• ScottZ
  • User
OK, I took the plunge and relocated the stock turn signals to the brake light mount, took all of maybe 15 minutes, well, it would have only been 15 except I had to run to the hardware store for 2 nuts and lock washers. The stock rubber mount assembly is actually diamond shaped, not round, so I left it out, used a nut on each end of the threads to lock the shaft down. There was enough wire to reach, but I will redo it later. I drilled a 1/4 hole in the back of the mount to run the wires thru, I need to get a rubber grommet to protect the wiring. All in all, I'm pleased with the new mounting. I wasn't too concerned about the original metal because eventually I want to replace all of the rear lighting with something bettr looking and more compact(I hate that huge ugly brakelight). There is now room for even large leather saddlebags, I will just need to fab up a bracket to keep them away from the tire and shock.

Post edited by: ScottZ, at: 2006/09/23 16:15

Post edited by: ScottZ, at: 2006/09/23 16:16

Post edited by: ScottZ, at: 2006/09/23 16:17
Attachments:

• Page: