Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Turn Signal Switch Wiring 19 Sep 2006 11:54 #77861

• bemoore
  • bemoore's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I've noticed that my left & right turn signals don't flash at the same rate. The left one will not flash at all at idle. I first thought it was a problem with a flasher, but after consulting the schematic, I see that the same flasher is used for both sides, so that's not it. I would like to be able to swap the wiring from left to right. I.e., pushing the switch to the right activates the left signal & vice versa. This would rule out or in the switch as the problem. Is this possible, and if so, where is this connection? Inside the switch assembly or somewhere in the harness?

Thanks.
77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

. 19 Sep 2006 12:10 #77867

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
del

Last edit: by JMKZHI.

Turn Signal Switch Wiring 19 Sep 2006 12:47 #77880

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
JMK is very much correct in that if you have mis-matched bulbs, the OEM flasher relay won't handle it well. The original bulbs were Stanley standard bulbs and are no longer available that I know of. When you buy replacments at the autoparts store that have the same physical configuration, they tend to be higher wattage. The OEM flasher doesn't like this and you will get odd blinking... to fast, too slow, etc. Go to the autoparts store and buy a heavy duty flasher relay that has the same prongs as your OEM flasher relay... they are arrayed in an L shape or: |_

The other issue is grounding. The Kaw turn signals usually don't have the bulb holder grounded... the grounding is a washer that fits over the turn signal stalk and then plugs into the wiring harness where it eventually grounds in the engine cases. You may have bad grounds. Loosen the nut that retains the turn signals' stalks and sand off the washer affairs that have the ground wire attached. The ground will be black/yellow; that is a black wire with a thin yellow stripe.

Last thing, you can trouble shoot by crossing flip flopping the wires from the two sides. Open your headlight up. Inside you will note that one side has either a green or gray and the other side has a green or gray wire or both have gray wires. The gray or gray and green go to the turn signal switch in the left switch gear. Both sides are hot when the switch points at them so if you swap the wires inside the headlight shell you can swap sides that the switch points at. The general circuit is a brown wire comes off the ignition switch brown subcircuit and goes to the flasher relay. It goes though the relay and becomes a flashing voltage that goes to the left switchgear via an orange wire I think. The orange wire then jumps over to either side of the turn signal switch when you move the switch to that side. Out of the turn signals switch, the flashing voltage goes out on either the gray and gray wires or the gray and green wires (depends on model). The rear signals are in parallel with the front so all you need to do is swap the gray and gray or gray and green wires back there to swap the sides where the flashing occurs.

Last, if this doesn't fix the problem and probably will
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: