• Page:

TOPIC:

Weird problem 18 Sep 2006 13:42 #77682

• MyKz650
  • MyKz650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Gunpowder and Gasoline
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all I have this weird problem. when I pull in the clutch lever the starter turns over, like is should when I press the start button not every time it's random. This only happens when the key is turned on.
1978 KZ650 C
*NEW* 1980 Z1000 G1 Classic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Weird problem 18 Sep 2006 13:44 #77685

• eaglemhf
  • User
Sounds like a short in the wire going to or from the Starter button in/on the hand bar.

Weird problem 18 Sep 2006 13:55 #77687

• eaglemhf
  • User
Sounds like a short in the wire going to or from the Starter button in/on the hand bar.

Weird problem 18 Sep 2006 14:07 #77688

• OnkelB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
Sounds like your starter button doesn´t (always) return correctly when you stop pressing it. There´s a safety switch on the clutch lever, the wire from the starter button to the starter solenoid runs through this switch so you can´t activate the starter without pulling the clutch - this is to prevent you from accidentally starting the bike in gear and possibly make it roll off the stand. If the starter button is hanging, the starter solenoid will be activated every time you pull the clutch and the starter motor will turn over. Disassemble the right handlebar control and check if the starter button return spring is broken or missing, or if dirt is causing the button to hang, it´s all mechanical in there and pretty easy to fix.

Btw, it should only happen when the ignition key and kill switch are on, when either is off there´s no power through the starter button.

Post edited by: OnkelB, at: 2006/09/18 17:12
77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

Weird problem 18 Sep 2006 14:10 #77690

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Yeah, what he said. Does your bike have a safety switch built into the clutch lever? (So that the starter won't engage unless the clutch lever is pulled)... Sounds like your starter button is shorting out, and the switch on the clutch lever is working as a backup. Then again, I like talking out my a$$.
Oh yes, welcome to KZR. There is a guy named Steel here, he is going to tell you to put your bike and your location in your signature line. Then a whole bunch of guys will tell you to post pictures of your bike. :lol:

Weird problem 18 Sep 2006 15:27 #77701

• KZ250LTD
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

Last edit: by KZ250LTD.

Weird problem 18 Sep 2006 18:32 #77726

• MyKz650
  • User
  • Gunpowder and Gasoline
OnkelB wrote:

Sounds like your starter button doesn´t (always) return correctly when you stop pressing it. There´s a safety switch on the clutch lever, the wire from the starter button to the starter solenoid runs through this switch so you can´t activate the starter without pulling the clutch - this is to prevent you from accidentally starting the bike in gear and possibly make it roll off the stand. If the starter button is hanging, the starter solenoid will be activated every time you pull the clutch and the starter motor will turn over. Disassemble the right handlebar control and check if the starter button return spring is broken or missing, or if dirt is causing the button to hang, it´s all mechanical in there and pretty easy to fix.

<br><br>Post edited by: OnkelB, at: 2006/09/18 17:12

I have pretty much unwraped the whole harness, I am at the handle bars now. Those wires going to the kill switch are a bugger to get out of the bars. I plan on cleaning the contects real good and going through the whole harness. Good info on the clutch switch and start switch working together, The guy at the local Kawai deaaler sugested that I bypass the nuetrel safty switch (in the tranny?). Man I wish I could just get a new harness with an updated fuse panel and call it a day.
1978 KZ650 C

Weird problem 18 Sep 2006 18:34 #77727

• MyKz650
  • User
  • Gunpowder and Gasoline
Oh yeah here is what I am working on
1978 KZ650 C

Weird problem 20 Sep 2006 16:23 #78305

• MyKz650
  • User
  • Gunpowder and Gasoline
Good call on that one I had a chance to pull the wireing out today and you were right the spring for the start button was mushed, I pulled it out some and it seems to be working good and I hope it holds shape. But ya know while I have the whole shabang disassembled I am going to clean up all of the contacts while I'm in there.
It just so happens I bought 4 cans of CRC electric contact cleaner for $1.45 ea today, now if I could find my emeory cloth. and di-electric grease....
1978 KZ650 C

Weird problem 20 Sep 2006 17:18 #78320

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Hey nice bike, 650's are it.

Nice little welder I see, how you like it?
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Weird problem 21 Sep 2006 20:50 #78645

• MyKz650
  • User
  • Gunpowder and Gasoline
The welder is fun I am still learning how to use it.
Here are some pics of my progres
Striped wire harness

The harness doesn't look to bad

I wish i knew where i could get some new wire (OEM stripe) So I could make a new harness, I just don't like the bullet connectors. I found a 1.5v and a 2.0v drop between the battery and the rear tail lights alone
1978 KZ650 C

• Page: