Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How to set the breaker points and other ?'s 12 Sep 2006 17:18 #76196

• bemoore
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Six9GS wrote:

Oh, you will want to, either using some sandpaper or a small file, you will want to make the two surfaces smooth and shiny Before you adjust the gap.

What grit sandpaper, or, what kind of file do you use?
77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How to set the breaker points and other ?'s 12 Sep 2006 17:28 #76202

• Six9GS
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I usually use what I can find. My shop's kinda like that. I think the 'preffered' sandpaper would be a fine grit metal type sandpaper. You could also use a fingerboard file. You know, the sticks women seem to always be using on their nails. That works pretty good.

During the points life, pits and bumps develop on the point's surface. The point(ha ha, a crack myself up, points, the point!!) is to file off any bumps which would intefere with gapping the two surfaces. You basically want them flat so there is a fair amount of surface area that is contacted when the points close. Do what's practical, this ain't rocket science.

BTW, I know I did not mention setting the timing. If you want me to I can write another even longer post about setting the timing. If it will help, I'll gladly do it.

How to set the breaker points and other ?'s 12 Sep 2006 19:25 #76230

• kz650sandrail
  • kz650sandrail's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Yep, you guessed it im new at this! Thanks for the detailed Write-Up! If you could, would you write about how to set the timing? That would be great!

Ps. I accidently turned the smaller bolt before i found out you need to turn the bigger 17mm one. Is this a potential problem?:unsure:

Post edited by: kz650sandrail, at: 2006/09/12 22:26

How to set the breaker points and other ?'s 13 Sep 2006 09:06 #76383

• kz650sandrail
  • kz650sandrail's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
could not having my airbox on when running the engine make erratic idling and backfire?

How to set the breaker points and other ?'s 15 Sep 2006 15:09 #77013

• Six9GS
  • User
Sandrail,
I can't say for sure about the irratic idliing and backfiring. Seems to me like that wouldn't be caused by airbox being off, especially the backfiring. I changed my stock air system to 4 cans. The rubbers connecting the box to the carbs were impossibly hard. Did give me cause to re-jet the carbs though.

Also, I haven't forgotten about writing you something on setting the timing. I've just been too busy. I will when I can find the time. You're not forgotten!!!

btw, to do a static timing (with the motor off) you will need a VOM, aka, Multimeter, aka Ohm meter. To "dynamically" time you will need a timing light.
Dynamically timing (with the motor running) is better, but more difficult and seemingly subjective. Static timing is a little easier and the "this is good enough" or "this is not good enough" decision is a little easier to make.

Hope all is well in your world!

Terry!

• Page: