Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bad pickup coil 11 Sep 2006 06:45 #75850

• Vachon
  • Vachon's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a '79 KZ1000 E1 (shaft) with Accel 3-ohm coils, 8.8 wires, and the WG coil rewire mod. Lately it has been dropping fire to 2-3 when hot. Culprit appears to be the pickup coil for 2-3, which will register way over spec resistance until it cools down, then works fine for while. Are there any replacement pickup coils available or do I have to purchase a complete aftermarket ignition system? Thanks for any info!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bad pickup coil 11 Sep 2006 06:57 #75852

• kzrider
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 91
Not sure who sells replacements, but they'd probably be close to the same price as a Dyna S (get one from Z1 Enterprises for $120). I had the exact same problem with my bike and I went for the cheap way out and got a used replacement off ebay for 10 bucks. Watch out though, buying electronics off ebay is considered gambling. Find out as much as you can about the seller and the item before you bid on anything. Hard to tell from a picture whether a pick-up coil works or not...
1976 Z750 B1
1980 Z1000 MkII A4

Bad pickup coil 11 Sep 2006 12:41 #75913

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Get a set of used pickup coils off eBay or buy a Dyna S. Not much in between.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Bad pickup coil 11 Sep 2006 15:14 #75947

• apeman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I had the same problem as well. I replaced mine with a used set I picked up off eBay. They work fine -- lucky I guess. Now I am trying to figure out if I should keep the half defective set in case I get the same problem again. Then I could swap the bad half for the good half and make another set.
Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

• Page: