Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

dyna lll or not ? 09 Sep 2006 17:52 #75544

• woodyskz
  • woodyskz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Should I go w/ the dyna lll model # D32-2, or should I go w/ the DS2-2 that comes without the module to mount
? Are one of these kits newer design, upgrade, ect. Thanks for the advice. '77 KZ650c bone stock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

dyna lll or not ? 09 Sep 2006 19:27 #75556

• Six9GS
  • User
My question concerning this would be what do you want to use the bike for. If you only want to putt around on it and not really race and such, I think I would go for the Dyna S. The Dyna III allows for more flexibility. But, it seems to me you only really need or use that flexibility if you are going to be racing it. At least that was my thoughts when I was looking into putting a Dyna system on mine.
That's my $0.02 worth. Good Luck to you!

dyna lll or not ? 09 Sep 2006 23:22 #75584

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The DynaIII and Dyna-S are functionally about the same. They both use a hall-effect sensor with fixed dwell angle (a little over 300 degrees). Both use the stock advancer on which you install a magnetic rotor.

The difference is that the DynaIII puts some of the more critical electronics in a remote box. This would be more reliable, but costs more so Dyna discontinued the DynaIII in favor of the more econimical Dyna-S.

The Dyna 2000 and Dyna 3000 give you adjustable electronic advance curves and rev limiters.

dyna lll or not ? 10 Sep 2006 04:51 #75595

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
If you can find a good dyna 3 for as much less than the S, as you value the S warranty, I'd recommend the 3. For me this would be about half price. $60 kept in the pocket is always a good thing ;-). Another option is 'eletronic points' and ignition module from a later model bike. -Duck

dyna lll or not ? 10 Sep 2006 13:48 #75689

• woodyskz
  • User
Thanks for the tip Duck, what year & model could i find the elect.points & module that will iterchange w/ the stock point/cond. setup ?

dyna lll or not ? 10 Sep 2006 13:52 #75691

• woodyskz
  • User
Thanks again for the deciding info loud.

dyna lll or not ? 10 Sep 2006 13:56 #75694

• woodyskz
  • User
she's a stocker six, no raceing on this one. Thanks for the reply .

dyna lll or not ? 10 Sep 2006 19:34 #75792

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
Sorry, I do not know year and model for 650. Have police bike parts on the 900 project motor. Maybe search of archives would find. Try google too. -Duck

dyna lll or not ? 10 Sep 2006 22:50 #75818

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
You could try to get an electronic ignition from a 650, 750 (4cyl), or a 550. They were available from about 1980 to 1984 depending on the model. Later than that reportedly won't fit.

You'll need the rotor, pickups, ignitor, and possibly coils. Points-coils may work if your bike is stock and in good condition, but they will produce less energy in the spark compared to the electronic-ignition coils.

However, you will probably end up paying more than you would for a Dyna S.

dyna lll or not ? 11 Sep 2006 03:43 #75831

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
loudhvx wrote:

You could try to get an electronic ignition from a 650, 750 (4cyl), or a 550. They were available from about 1980 to 1984 depending on the model. Later than that reportedly won't fit.

You'll need the rotor, pickups, ignitor, and possibly coils. Points-coils may work if your bike is stock and in good condition, but they will produce less energy in the spark compared to the electronic-ignition coils.

However, you will probably end up paying more than you would for a Dyna S.

Good to know. Thanks. Curious about coils though. The factory ignitor should have enough dwell to give the same spark as the points did. Not being in a hurry helps. Got a pickup for a police engine with rotor and nice clean advance unit for $6 plus $5 ship on ebay. Need to start looking for the ignitor ;-). Start cutting and welding in 4 weeks.
-Duck

dyna lll or not ? 11 Sep 2006 09:45 #75887

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Points had a fixed dwell of about 180 deg (crankshaft), if I recall.
The electronic dwell increase from about 100 deg to about 120 deg.

So it's not a big difference, and is really only a factor at high RPM since 100 deg is way more than enough at idle. The difference is about 1 milli-second at 10,000 RPM. But to a coil, 1 millisecond may make the difference in firing or not.

Also, on the electronic ignitions, by "later" ones, I mean the ones with electronic advance. They reportedly won't fit into the older engines. They can easily be identified since they have no mechanical advancer, and the pickups are on a big bracket looking thing instead of a round timing plate.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/09/11 12:49

• Page: