• Page:

TOPIC:

Dead Dog! 07 Sep 2006 18:20 #75178

• IowaKZ
  • IowaKZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • '80 G1 Classic
  • Thank you received: 5
Well, it finally happened to me. I was bringing my son home from school and I was slowing down to turn left towards home and the ol' KZ just died. I had pulled in the clutch to downshift and it just died.

I popped the clutch to see if it would restart, but no.

so, here I am in traffic with my kid on the back and a dead bike.

Finally traffic thinned out and we got off. I pushed the bike home, about 4 blocks (all uphill). then I went inside for supper.

After supper I checked the battery (12.77 v) and then looked at the fuses. Main fuse was blown. I was going to go get a replacement, but I decided to just replace the whole fuse box with new fuses.

anyway, I wanted to thank everyone here who has ever helped me in the past. through your help, I have a little know how and the confidence to fix her myself.

I'm not ready to put on a turbo just yet, but I think I can change out the fuse box.

Tomorrow I am going to pick up the goodies and hopefully get it all put in this weekend.

I'll let you know how it goes.
1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dead Dog! 07 Sep 2006 19:43 #75197

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Now all you need to do is figure out WHY the main fuse blew. :huh:

If you recently changed the handlebars or removed the switches on the bars, that would be the first place I'd check.
When I swapped to superbike bars on my KZ650, I inadvertently "squished" the wires between the master cylinder on the right, and the clutch perch on the left.
Eventually it wore through the insulation and would cause tha main fuse to blow out.

I'm glad though that you and your son were able to make it home safely. :)
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: