• Page:

TOPIC:

Plug wire choise 05 Sep 2006 06:00 #74592

• mark1122
  • mark1122's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
How do you decide wich plug wires to buy? I see 7mm. and 8mm.And I see solid core and supression cores available.Also What about the plug ends? Do they need resisters or is that year dependant? :side: I want to upgrade my points to a Dyna s or 2000.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Plug wire choise 05 Sep 2006 08:59 #74633

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I doubt you need static supression/resistor type stuff on your bike. Stay with non-resistor type plug wires/caps and plugs. Z1enterprises sells Dyna 7mm wires that come with caps in kit form for a reasonable price. If you use stuff you buy local, get 7mm wire from the autoparts store and buy NGK non-resistor caps at a bike shop. The alternative is to use "racing only" Accel 8mm wires. The insulation needs to be shaved some to fit them into bike coils but they will fit. Get a 4 Cylinder kit and it comes with two wires with caps already install on all ends. You cut them then install some clips on the cut ends for sticking into your coils. They are a bit more expensive than the 7mm Dyna wires plus they are the hideous yellow as well but work OK... If you have coils where the wires are molded in, the Accel kit gives you some wire splices which I would not be comfy using but they are there and would work. Just use heat shrink so the metal of the splices isn't exposed.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Plug wire choise 05 Sep 2006 14:52 #74684

• 2bskor
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Use 7mm solid core wires with regular ends no need to buy ngk caps and if you need to splice the wire out of your coils ngk have wire splices that are weather resistant.
1979 KZ1000ST (Canadian) Electronic Ignition, 4 into 1 header,K&N air filter

Plug wire choise 08 Sep 2006 05:31 #75235

• mark1122
  • mark1122's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
THANKS GUYS.:cheer:
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• Page: