Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wiring diagram question 20 Aug 2006 20:13 #71212

• minutiesabotage
  • minutiesabotage's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
In my quest to get my turn signals working, it occured to me that I may not be reading this wiring diagram correctly. Looking at my wiring diagram, it shows a bar linking the wires going into the turn signal switch.

To simulate the switch being operated, am I correct in unplugging the harness, and bridging the wires by using a staple shaped piece of wire?

Seems logical to me, but my turn signals still didnt work when trying that. Since I have heard the switch is a common point of failure, I figured I would confirm my testing method.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wiring diagram question 21 Aug 2006 11:08 #71372

• minutiesabotage
  • User
One more question: Looking at the diagram, I do not see a purpose of the turn signal control module. Can someone explain its use to me?

Wiring diagram question 22 Aug 2006 00:18 #71502

• inline79
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
The bars in the diagram inside the switch just indicate that all three wipers move together. It's a TPTT, Triple Pole, Triple Throw switch. Three switches that move together (poles), to three possible positions (throws).

It looks like it also has auto-cancelling, which may be what the module is for (there's a distance sensor). It might also indicate a broken bulb.

To test the switch just move it and check that the wipers have connected the contacts that you expect them to.

Wiring diagram question 22 Aug 2006 13:43 #71620

• minutiesabotage
  • User
They don't, my switch is not working right. I am also not getting power to the main orange wire to the directional circuit. It may be easier for me to just rig up my own circuit and bypass the stock wiring.

Wiring diagram question 22 Aug 2006 18:29 #71692

• inline79
  • User
The switches on my 78 KZ650, and the spare I have from a 79 were completely rebuildable.... but then, I thought it was kind of fun to take them apart completely - you may not agree.

You may just have some bad contacts inside the switch which you can try to take apart and clean with a wire brush or emery cloth. Some solder connections may also come loose.

I'd like to see a picture if you've got one.

Wiring diagram question 22 Aug 2006 19:31 #71711

• minutiesabotage
  • User
I can take a pic, but of the handle controls, the dead wiring, or the control unit? The problem is that the screws are stripped and I havent been able to get them out short of drilling them all the way out.

Wiring diagram question 23 Aug 2006 04:30 #71768

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
just drill the head off the screws then you can pull the rest out with vice grips
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

Wiring diagram question 23 Aug 2006 20:32 #72008

• inline79
  • User
Yeah that control's going to have to come off if any proper fix is going to happen.

• Page: