Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Question pertaining to drag racing 16 Aug 2006 20:12 #70114

• AJCrader
  • AJCrader's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I was curious if i should just stick with the stock coil, ignition, etc or if there are certain aftermarket ones that would be better, I also plan to run no alternator if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance
AJ
Drag bike, 1220cc Z1R KZ project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Question pertaining to drag racing 16 Aug 2006 20:18 #70117

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Dyna ignition and coils all the way, dude. Not having to spin an alternator on the end of your crank will free up a few ponies and make the bike accelerate a bit better. Gives you a chance to simplify your wiring harness. Those stock harnesses way more than you would think. If I took all the crap I removed and cut off my 900 I bet it weighed 75 lbs.

Question pertaining to drag racing 16 Aug 2006 20:26 #70121

• AJCrader
  • User
Right at the moment all that it on the bike from being a roller is the motor and tranny, this is the part where i need the manual as I have no clue, and no bike buddies to turn to for help. I just hope i can get the motor out without screwing up anything. I just want to make sure I get what i will need instead of just dealing with what I got, just not looking forward to having pingel fab me a set of wheelie bars.
AJ

Question pertaining to drag racing 16 Aug 2006 20:34 #70123

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
Yeah get a manual. Non of this is rocket science. And once you toss the wiring harness and airbox the bike becomes a whole lot easier to work on. You may not even need wheelie bars. 650's aren't that fast, yes bars will help launching but out of control wheelies are not a big hazard. Wouldn't take much to extended your swingarm. A local welding shop could cut it up and weld in a 3" extension. Lower forks in clamps as much as possible and wheel spin may be more of an issue than wheelies.

Question pertaining to drag racing 16 Aug 2006 20:38 #70124

• AJCrader
  • User
being as though I have never rode a bike bigger than a kz200, the bars are a comfort and a safety thing for me. I figured that since my mom would kill me if i had a street bike, why not make a drag bike, and a slow one at that, lol...had to make sacrifices to get a bike.
AJ

Question pertaining to drag racing 16 Aug 2006 20:44 #70130

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
I used to race with a guy back in 89 who ran a 650. It ran maybe 12.7 with no bars. Never saw him wheelie once. That year he came in 2nd at St. Thomas Dragway Park. He won his share of races but got many points from attendance and consistancy. Show up every weekend, advance a few rounds, maybe even win a couple of weekends and viola you might get your name in local sport section. Worked for me. Got 6th over all one year. Won 3 times that year, made the finals twice and won a few rounds. There were some fast bikes running then. Some guys running 8 seconds, although with track condition back then that would have been mondo scary.

Question pertaining to drag racing 17 Aug 2006 04:53 #70181

• AJCrader
  • User
I'm sure 8's back then was scary...

I just need it for comfort mainly as I am sure your buddy was a lot better rider and could manipulate the clutch better than I can. lol I really appreciate the pointers though has really helped me out a ton.
AJ

Question pertaining to drag racing 17 Aug 2006 07:33 #70219

• wireman
  • Visitor
AJCrader wrote:

I'm sure 8's back then was scary...

I just need it for comfort mainly as I am sure your buddy was a lot better rider and could manipulate the clutch better than I can. lol I really appreciate the pointers though has really helped me out a ton.

8s are still scary even now!:P

Question pertaining to drag racing 17 Aug 2006 08:18 #70229

• AJCrader
  • User
LMAO 8's are fun to watch though! there is a couple guys that go to the track i work at running 8's w/o wheelie bars, one of them has too much money, and the other runs a dyno shop for motorcycles here in town
AJ

Question pertaining to drag racing 17 Aug 2006 14:57 #70365

• wireman
  • Visitor
next time im at my dads ill see if hes still got time slip from the 1st and last time my 1428 turbo was run down legal 1/4 mile it was well into sub 9 second range with no wheelie bar.they chased him off the track and beat him with rule book!:evil: :P

Question pertaining to drag racing 18 Aug 2006 01:15 #70526

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
You won't need a wheelie bar. I know your worried about flipping it but you won't. Take it the track for a few runs and you will get used to it. You will spin before you get the wheel off the ground on one of these heavy pigs!
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Question pertaining to drag racing 18 Aug 2006 04:58 #70545

• AJCrader
  • User
Even if i have a slick on it? I will take all y'alls word on it for now, I wish I could come up with $1200 I could get me a street worthy 77 kz650, but i have no cash and only have 2 14k white gold rings to barter with, man this sucks.
AJ

• Page: