Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Adding a starter button? 16 Aug 2006 15:42 #70042

• bkitchen
  • bkitchen's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I was wondering about adding a starter button just under the seat on my left side. I don't want to disconnect the regular one either. Just want one I can reach with my left hand when starting in neutral. Can I wire it off of the starter relay somehow or do I have to run it back to the main switch? I looked at the wiring diagram in my manual but am not sure. On my diagram there is a starter kill switch that I assume is down near the starter so you don't start it out of neutral? Do I need to wire it off of there?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Adding a starter button? 17 Aug 2006 10:47 #70268

• bkitchen
  • User
Anyone???

Adding a starter button? 17 Aug 2006 16:47 #70407

• bkitchen
  • User
Maybe there is such a thing as a stupid question.... I can't get an answer.:laugh:

Adding a starter button? 17 Aug 2006 17:00 #70410

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm just wondering why you need a second starter button? What is your right hand doing that you can't use the original one?
As far as the wiring goes, I would think a second button wired in parallel would work OK; then again, I'm a carpenter, not an electrician...:S

Adding a starter button? 17 Aug 2006 17:05 #70413

• bkitchen
  • User
I find sometimes when warm it is eassier to start by reaching over with my left hand and working the throttle with my right. Plus I just want to. :P

Adding a starter button? 17 Aug 2006 17:11 #70415

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
bkitchen wrote:

Plus I just want to. :P

Thats a good enough reason then.

Or... you could use a long stick to push the starter button....:silly:

Adding a starter button? 17 Aug 2006 19:23 #70461

• wireman
  • Visitor
well you cant wire them in series,the circuit will be open to the switch farthest away unless you push both buttons at same time.lou might have some idea how to install one of his fancy relays by starter solenoid so you can wire the 2 switches seperately .you could run a seperate 12v circuit to another switch but you need some way to isolate them from eachother like a toggle switch so you can only use one or the other at one time or they will backfeed through the wires like 2 trains on same track going differant directins :sick: :P

Adding a starter button? 17 Aug 2006 19:42 #70466

• OneShoe50
  • User
  • 10-4? 10-4!
Is your clutch safety switch still hooked up? If so you'll need to either bypass that switch so you can use your new 2nd switch or having the second switch will still require pulling the clutch in so the starter button will work. As far as wiring it, run wires of the gauge (size)to the same connector and them either button will close and activate the starter, also make sure the new button is the same amp rating as the handlebar button.

And if that doesn't work, punt.
77 KZ1000A1 - Under going a psuedo ELR overhaul
79 KE175 (gone)
81 KZ550A2 (gone)
81 KZ750E (gone)

Sure it looks OK now, but wait until I really make it pretty, with some chrome and paint and some new tires and grips and the wiring. Don't forget the gearing, and the LED's and, and, and....

Adding a starter button? 17 Aug 2006 19:56 #70469

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
It ought to be easy to do, and it will bypass all safety lockouts (so don't screw up).

Run one wire from the battery + terminal to one side of the switch button, then run a wire from the other side of the switch to the small wire coming from your current starter button at the solonoid.

But be aware that the starter will engage with the ignition off, with the bike in gear, actually whenever you push the button the starter will engage, so be really, really, careful.
KD9JUR

Adding a starter button? 17 Aug 2006 19:58 #70470

• bkitchen
  • User
Can I run it to the same side of the safety switch that the original one is and then run the other side of the switch directly to a 12v source? Or would I need a relay in there somewhere?

Adding a starter button? 18 Aug 2006 07:05 #70576

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
All the starter button does is run hot to the solenoid when the button is depressed. You could just buy a "starter button" at an autoparts store. Run any switched hot wire to the button and then run a black wire to your starter solenoid and solder to the existing black wire coming from the starter button. The most likely input wire would be to tap the "BROWN" sub-circuit which is switched and near where you want to mount this extra button... splice into a brown which is the source for the turn signal blinker relay before it hits the turn signal switch. The brown is hot all the time. As far as relays go, this power you are sending to the solenoid is the trigger for a relay; that is, the solenoid IS a relay and needs a 12VDC trigger to close it.

I run one of these buttons on one of my carb test bikes and don't use the normal starter button at all. The hole for the button is closed off on the switchgear. I start the bike using this button under the seat. It is mounted to the frame crosspiece over the carbs. At the time I was wiring the bike I couldn't find a darn starter button that worked on the half dozen right hand switchgear I had in my junk box at the time so just bought one of the buttons from the autoparts stores. The base is about 2.5" wide and the button is about 1" in diameter.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: