Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Problem starting w/ new Accel coils, no problems w/ old coils 09 Aug 2006 13:07 #68326

• MotoSyko
  • MotoSyko's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Okay - I'm mystified and stupid feeling and hope this is a somewhat simple fix that I am simply overlooking -
Working on a 76 KZ900. Someone had put aftermarket coils on it before (15+ years ago) and the bike started and ran fine with them, but this guy wanted new Accel coils and wires put on.
I got distracted in the middle of the operation and didn't quite label all of what I should have. OOPS. So shoot me, but this ought to not be TOO bad.
I DID label which primary wires came off which side.
And Accel papers say it doesn't matter which post these primary wires go to on each coil.
Therefore I should definitely have the primary wiring right.

I will call them a left and a right coil (as you're sitting on the bike) From what I remember, the coil on the left fires cylinders 2&3 and the coil on the right fires cylinders 1&4. Is this correct?

If it is correct, is it possible to get the two plug wires coming out of each coil backwards? Like #1 plug wire on the #4 cylinder and vice versa, or doesn't it matter? They aren't marked any differently on the coil itself.

Any I put it all together with the left coil firing 2&3 and the right firing 1&4 and all it does it pop a little bit, won't even start at all - and it did before all this...
Switched it around a couple different ways - just the plug wires - and sounded a little more like it wanted to start but still no go. Checked spark and we're getting it, must just not be at the right time or sequence... Royally making me kick myself.
Any advice you can offer would be outstanding. I will answer any questions best I can.
Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Problem starting w/ new Accel coils, no problems w/ old coils 09 Aug 2006 16:42 #68362

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Accel coils are totally junk, send them to be and I'll dispose of them properly :D

On a more serious note, take the plug wires from 1 and 4 and switch them to 2 and 3, and of course put 2 and 3 on 1 and 4.

Sounds like you have the wires from the points/igniter going to the wrong coils.
KD9JUR

1980 KZ750G 1980 KZ750G Twin twins!! 09 Aug 2006 18:13 #68380

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35

1980 KZ750G
1980 KZ750G Twin twins!!

you gonna rig 'em up and ride together...

Problem starting w/ new Accel coils, no problems w/ old coils 10 Aug 2006 04:23 #68453

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
leave the secondarys hooked at 1-4 , 2-3
locate the power wire to each coil with a test light. then swap the primary signal wires around ( the other thin wire from the points or i/c box)

I like to put the 1-4 coil on the left side as sittting on the bike and 2-3 on right

I think they are ok if you like banana colored coils that spark erraticly at high revs.

I think they need too much saturation time

Problem starting w/ new Accel coils, no problems w/ old coils 10 Aug 2006 05:43 #68465

• MotoSyko
  • MotoSyko's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
You nailed it guys - my primary wiring was correct, just that I had the 1/4 coil mixed up with the 2/3 -
well it was a learning experience anyway, bike runs great now. Not too fond of the bright yellow myself but I guess that's what this guy wanted -
last year I couldn't even spell mechanic now I are one!
:huh:
Thanks for the feedback!
Now I can get back to riding my own Kaw -

Problem starting w/ new Accel coils, no problems w/ old coils 10 Aug 2006 09:47 #68505

• wireman
  • Visitor
MotoSyko wrote:

You nailed it guys - my primary wiring was correct, just that I had the 1/4 coil mixed up with the 2/3 -
well it was a learning experience anyway, bike runs great now. Not too fond of the bright yellow myself but I guess that's what this guy wanted -
last year I couldn't even spell mechanic now I are one!
:huh:
Thanks for the feedback!
Now I can get back to riding my own Kaw -

20 yers go i coont spell plummer now i are one! :evil: :P

• Page: