Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Odometer discrepancy 09 Aug 2006 08:15 #68261

• shawntmartin
  • shawntmartin's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
What are some of the reasons for odometer discrepancy besides changing or fixing a broken speedo that is not considered "shifty"?? Im trying to protect myself when buying another bike....

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Odometer discrepancy 09 Aug 2006 09:14 #68274

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
The odometer is only one of many clues. Best to look at all visible wear parts when estimating level and type of use.
-Duck

Odometer discrepancy 09 Aug 2006 10:05 #68292

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 304
One of the things that people do (particularly recently) is to refurbish the speedometer when doing a partial/complete revival/restoration. When done as part of a legitimate restoration (and disclosure of such), this is okay. However, what some people have done is have the speedo's rebuilt (and the odometer is re-zero'ed) and not disclosed the number of miles that have actually been accrued on the frame or lower end, etc. The bikes are then sold as "0" mile examples that they have restored, etc. This ain't the case. Follow Duck's lead and advice...it takes some training and homework, but the overall condition of the scooter will be discernable from things other than just the odometer. :)
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• Page: