• Page:

TOPIC:

Igniter schematic, anyone? 08 Aug 2006 08:41 #67997

• pstrbrc
  • pstrbrc's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
  • Thank you received: 9
Does anybody know where I would find a schematic drawing for the IC igniter on my '81 KZ 1100b?
Bruce
\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Igniter schematic, anyone? 08 Aug 2006 08:55 #68003

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I've never seen a schematic for the stock ignitor. The ignitor is not really made from discrete parts, it's integrated onto one piece of metal substrate with a few surface-mount components added on.

Igniter schematic, anyone? 08 Aug 2006 09:01 #68005

• pstrbrc
  • pstrbrc's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
  • Thank you received: 9
I just came across this thread kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...ew/catid,4/id,65737/
and I have a question for Lou:
You posted this schematic for using points to fire through a GM HEI unit:

Two questions:
1. How would the schematic change for a bike that already had electronic ignition?
2. Why do you limit the coil to 2.4 ohm minimum primary resistance? The GM HEI fires a coil with lower primary resistance than that, if I'm not mistaken. I'm thinking along the lines of a Ford EDIS4 coil pack, with .2 ohm primary resistance.
In other words, would it be possible to replace my ('81 KZ1100b) oem igniter and coils with a couple of HEI units and the EDIS coil pack?
Thanks!
Bruce
\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx
Attachments:

Igniter schematic, anyone? 08 Aug 2006 09:12 #68007

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Funny thing is, I originally designed the HEI mod for electronic ignitions. The circuit is actually simpler for the electronic ignition bikes.

I limit it to 2.4 in order to stay away from using the current limiter on the HEI. When the HEI goes into current-limit mode, it heats up. I wanted to avoid that. There is no real need for coils lower than 2.4 ohms anyway since the bike has a ton of dwell time available.

www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZgmHEImod.html

As you can see, there is not much to it. Other than the HEI modules, the rest is made from junk I had laying around.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/08/08 12:21

Igniter schematic, anyone? 08 Aug 2006 09:15 #68009

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
pstrbrc wrote:

I just came across this thread kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...ew/catid,4/id,65737/

Bruce

oh, and I am working out the details on the version for points. The circuit drawn here will work, but I have a few better ones to write up.

• Page: