• Page:

TOPIC:

STARTER CLUTCH??/ 07 Aug 2006 10:59 #67779

• MBFMGP
  • MBFMGP's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
hello everyone,

well after selling my 79 kz1000st i went out and found another one (kz1000 ltd 1982) completely stock and in better shape.

it has one issue though and thats why im posting.

i think it needs a starter clutch because when i hit the button the emgine doesn't always crank it seems to work better first try of the day, after that it takes many pushes and a scraping noise to finally begin to crank [lots of times i put it in gear and rock it and that seems to help] and usually will start.

i bought a manual and it doesn't seem too hard to do and i plan to go ahead unless anyone here thinks it might be something else maybe easier to do.

also, the manual says to screw a bolt to the rotor after removong the rotor bolt and pound on it. i'm not sure what they mean can anyone clarify? do they mean pounding it toward or away from the cases?

thank in advance

fred

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

STARTER CLUTCH??/ 07 Aug 2006 12:09 #67801

• cary
  • User
shaftie streetfighter? interesting setup...

I am in the process of dealing with a bad starter clutch myself right now, after removing the bolt, it's just in there by friction, a LOT of friction, the pounding is supposed to loosen things up. You'll want to use a bolt (I had to go to whitesell fasteners to get the one that fit mine) that will thread into the rotor to pop that thing off. use you rear brake to lock the crankshaft whilst you turn that bolt. It's not easy, and you might break something. These bikes are old and do not like to come apart.

A torch might be helpful too.:evil:

STARTER CLUTCH??/ 08 Aug 2006 17:55 #68121

• MBFMGP
  • User
thanks for the tip, im going to try it this weekend...

i'll let you know how it works out

STARTER CLUTCH??/ 12 Aug 2006 05:34 #68891

• MBFMGP
  • User
HI AGAIN,

WELL I GOT THE COVER AND THE ROTOR BOLT OFF.

DO YOU REMEMBER WHAT SIZE AND TYPE THREAD BOLT YOU BOUGHT??

I GOT ONE FROM THE HAEDWARE STORE [16MM] BUT IT WAS TOO SMALL... THE KAWASAKI DEALER DOESN'T HAVE THE SPECIAL TOOL EITHER.

SO IF YOU COULD TELL ME WHAT BOLT TO BUY I CAN PROBABLY GET IT FROM MCMASTER CARR.

THANKS,

FRED

STARTER CLUTCH??/ 12 Aug 2006 06:37 #68897

• roy-b-boy-b
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
If memory serves me right i think the bottom triple tree bolt will fit. I think the older manuals tells you to use this bolt. Roy
1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

STARTER CLUTCH??/ 12 Aug 2006 11:48 #68955

• MBFMGP
  • User
THANKS BUD,

FRED

STARTER CLUTCH??/ 13 Aug 2006 06:49 #69068

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
18mm X 1.5mm 4-6 inches long

STARTER CLUTCH??/ 13 Aug 2006 19:43 #69204

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
We just replaced the starter clutch on Corys bike today. Took us forever to get the rotor off. The bolt seemed to be turning along with the rotor instead of the bolt turing and the rotor staying still. We finally used a rubber mallet to pound on the breaker bar. We figured that short, hard impacts would be better than slow steady turns. Worked like a charm. About 4 hits with the mallet and it popped right off. The is after we used a torch, cut some of the rotor off, busted 2 jaw style rotor pullers and cussed a lot. You will need some one to work the brakes. As you pull on the breaker bar you will actually pull the bike backwards. I had to stand on the rear brake and grab a handfull of front brake to keep it from moving. Good luck and be patient.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

• Page: