Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Turn signals not working 06 Aug 2006 21:46 #67651

• minutiesabotage
  • minutiesabotage's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My turn signals on my KZ1000 are not working. If I connect the rear turn signals to positive, they turn on, but do not blink. (Read: the grounds are good) The flasher relay is good. This leads me to believe that maybe the turn signal control unit is bad?

While the screws on my handlebar switch are too tight to remove, I was able to use a test light to show that the switch is putting voltage on some of the wires when pushed.

I should mention that the bike was dropped, and the right rear signal snapped off. Would this affect the left side signals?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Turn signals not working 07 Aug 2006 13:48 #67820

• minutiesabotage
  • User
Is this a ridiculously stupid question, or do the people viewing it not know the answer?

Turn signals not working 07 Aug 2006 14:23 #67824

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
Not a stupid question at all!
Check the threads... lots of riders are banging their heads trying to t-shoot electrical problems, including turn signals.
Problem is, it's impossible to diagnose other than the obvious - bulbs, flasher, switch, wiring. So many bikes have bad wiring, or bad grounds, or bad P.O.s that modified/spliced/removed wiring.

So you'll need a wiring diagram, a volt/ohm meter, and some patience.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Turn signals not working 07 Aug 2006 14:24 #67825

• ronjones
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Actually, as I'm thinking about it when I was hooking up my lights, I didn't have the rt front connected yet and couldn't get that right rear to blink. But the left side, had both lights working and they blinked. When I got the rf signal hooked up, everything worked. Is the rr signal light still broken off? That could be a problem. I'm not sure. I'm really learning about bike michanics, as I go, w/my rebuild.
'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

Turn signals not working 07 Aug 2006 14:27 #67826

• Robjb84
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
My front left bulb has been removed and im pretty sure thats what is causing my rear left and control panel left lights to just turn on and stay on instead of blinking, so I think you might be onto something here.

Turn signals not working 07 Aug 2006 15:05 #67832

• minutiesabotage
  • User
Ill try it when I get the chance, I do have a replacement in my garage. But why would the right side being broken effect my left side blinkers?

On that note, what the heck is the purpose of the "turn signal control" unit?

Turn signals not working 08 Aug 2006 08:48 #68001

• minutiesabotage
  • User
Well I repaired the turn signals, and they all (Indicators, front, and rear) work if I put (+) power directly to the rear wires. Therefore the problem lies somewhere between the switch and the turn signal control unit's input. How can I test them to figure out where the problem lies?

. 08 Aug 2006 10:24 #68026

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
del

Last edit: by JMKZHI.

Turn signals not working 08 Aug 2006 10:33 #68030

• minutiesabotage
  • User
The flashers are good, if I hook up a direct circuit through the flasher, they blink on and off.

Turn signals not working 08 Aug 2006 10:36 #68033

• KZKrayzee
  • User
I personally just dealt with the same problem. I researched and found three very helpful tips which actually fixed my problem. First, the bulbs run in a continuous loop which means in order for the signals to work correctly, you must have funtional bulbs in all the sockets. If that doesnt work, check the ground of the front signals. Make sure there is no rust and that they have good contact. And last which actually fixed my problem, check the coupler terminal which connects the lights to the main harness. Sometimes the pins get pushed back and dont make a good connection. Once I took the coupler apart, cleaned all the pins and hooked it back up, my signals blinked.

In your case, check the rear coupler also.

Just some ideas!

Post edited by: KZKrayzee, at: 2006/08/08 13:36

Turn signals not working 08 Aug 2006 10:58 #68041

• minutiesabotage
  • User
All six filaments are good. The flashers are good. The lamps are making good contact. The problem is somewhere on the switch, on the turn signal control unit, or the wires in between.

Turn signals not working 08 Aug 2006 12:46 #68066

• inline79
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
The power from the battery goes through the turn signal relay, through the chassis connector, to the turn signal switch in the handlebar.

Looking at the Z1000K1 wiring diagram in the filebase, I see the power comes in on the orange wire, and leaves on either a green or grey wire (depending on Left or Right signal is active). You should be able to hook bulbs directly to these green or grey wires coming out of the switch and see them flash. If this does not happen then the problem is in the switch.

Do your hazards work?

• Page: