Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How to properly wire rear turn signals? 04 Aug 2006 19:31 #67205

• AzKZ650
  • AzKZ650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I just finished installing my new drag specialties front turn signals (not led) and I relocated the old front signals to the back. I also installed some new heavy duty turn signal flashers.
The running lights all work and the turn signals work when the lights are not switched on, but the signals do not work with the lights on. Is it just to much power for the electrical system to handle ? Did I wire it wrong? Is there some way to correct it so I can have rear running lights & trun-signals ? or should I just switch them back to just rear turn signals?
If anyone has any ideas I must warn you ahead of time, I have VERY limited electrical knowledge, so please keep it simple
;)
Thanks-Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How to properly wire rear turn signals? 04 Aug 2006 20:51 #67222

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
yellow running lights are illegal in the rear in most states but you might want to try one of these
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.
Attachments:

How to properly wire rear turn signals? 04 Aug 2006 20:53 #67223

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
with that you could use them as tail/brakelights too
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

How to properly wire rear turn signals? 04 Aug 2006 21:30 #67233

• AzKZ650
  • User
btchalice wrote:

yellow running lights are illegal in the rear in most states

Thanks for the idea btchalice, I didn't realize yellow rear lights were illegal, are red running lights in the rear illegal also ? I was just figuring the more visable I made the bike the better. I guess I'll just switch the lights back.
Thanks Again-Brian

How to properly wire rear turn signals? 05 Aug 2006 02:23 #67249

• Werewolfx
  • User
Red lights in the rear are perfectly legal. With your old front signals off the bike, stick one wire you know is NOT the ground on the positive post of a battery, and the ground wire on the neg post, then repeat with the other wire. Note which wire is brighter..wire the brighter ones to your factory rear turn signal wires, connect the ground, run a wire from the dimmer wire to your tail light wire. You're done. Be sure to solder and double shrink wrap any splicing you decide to do.

I use 4" round pedestal mount trailer stop/turn/tail lights onthe back of my bike, and 4" round pedestal mount trailer park/turn lights on the front. I have running lights front and back, the back ones have red lenses, but I'm probably going to add some amber LED turnsignals as well, for a bit of contrast at night.
Chris

How to properly wire rear turn signals? 05 Aug 2006 08:22 #67279

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Red OR amber rear turn signals/running lights are legal in Texas. It is a state by state thing.

To wire your front running lights/turn signals to the rear:

1. your turn signal hot wires will be gray or gray and light green depending on model. You will have to figure out which wire goes to which side. Connect to the connector on your bulb socket which has the larger filament

2. your running lights will connect into the RED wire from your brake light. The red wire is either coming direct off the ignition switch (on all the time) or coming through the on/off switch on your right switchgear which means you can switch off the running light in the brake light.

3. ground wire is black/yellow. Connect it to the body of your turn signal some way. You can connect it to the bulb hold mount screw or put a washer around the turn signal stem where it fits into the frame and then connect a wire from the washer to a frame ground like the original system used.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

How to properly wire rear turn signals? 05 Aug 2006 19:37 #67383

• AzKZ650
  • User
I double checked how I had it wired and it looks right. The turn signals do all work and the drive lights also work just not both at the same time, I also noticed that when I have the lights turned on my turn signal indicator lights by the ignition switch dimly light up and at this point with lights on when I try the turn signals its been 50/50 for either one slow flash or no flashes at all.
I think for now I'll just try disconnecting the drive lights, unless anyone knows where I can get red covers? I finally have new tires, working signals and got my dyna-s problem sorted out. My carbs are pretty crappy but I'm waiting on a rebuilt set of WG carbs ;) and I've got my new exhaust sitting on the work bench. I'm hoping my new brake pads from Z1 come on Monday or Tuesday and I'll finish off straighting out that mess (Thanks again Agawam for the caliper), but I'm starting to wonder if the master cylinder on my bike is for dual front brakes. I haven't seen another SR with a tall cylinderical MC. Sorry for the lengthy post, I've been having a streak of bad luck working on it lately and haven't been able to ride, and summers flying past...but I think I'm on the verge of getting it all pieced back together and back on the road :)

• Page: