Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wire Harness 03 Aug 2006 12:44 #66950

• KZKrayzee
  • KZKrayzee's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a kz650 and I was wondering, do you guys know of anyone who selld wiring harnesses or are you guys rewiring and rebuilding the harnesses yourself?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wire Harness 03 Aug 2006 13:03 #66955

• 77Davo650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
you can find them on ebay often, I re-wired the bike myself by following the electrical diagram from the manual, it wasn't too hard, just took about a week of evenings after work to make it and put it on the bike, works great. IF you can do it yourself, then you know all of the wiring is good all the way through, otherwise you can get a used harness and hope all of the wires are good.
77 KZ650 C1 (sold)
78 KZ650 B2 (sold)
78 KZ400 B1 (sold)
78 kz400 C1 (resto-mod)
78 kz400 C1 (hardtail low chop)
couple of possible project kz's in parts

Wire Harness 03 Aug 2006 13:05 #66956

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Check with z1enterprises.com as they may sell a replacement harness for your bike.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Wire Harness 03 Aug 2006 14:07 #66969

• KZKrayzee
  • User
77, I am familiar with wiring and I am pretty confident I can do it myself, how did u start? Did you take the original harness off and replace each wire one by one? Also, how did you color cordinate your wiring? Does it match the same colors as the diagram?

Post edited by: KZKrayzee, at: 2006/08/03 17:15

Wire Harness 03 Aug 2006 23:12 #67053

• KZKrayzee
  • User
I ran into a neighbor today who has built and still owns 18 different bikes, mostly Japanese, he told me there is a company out of San Francisco that sells the original Kawasaki wire connectors. I think I am going that route. I want to powder my frame soon I gotta find that company and start rebuilding my harness.

Wire Harness 04 Aug 2006 14:41 #67159

• amedeo
  • User
I rewired my kz400 after i bobbed and hardtailed it.This was due to running the harness through the frame(Bat box to Neck)I started from scratch 3 circuits .Start one at a time.Try to keep the wiring colors close to diagram.I eliminated some wiring.kill switch,start button etc.(1 key switch under seat)Alot of my wiring is custom. But the main issue is getting Colored wire(coded) the connectors came from Mikesxs.com .By the way i recommend soldering connections as opposed to crimpconnectors.

Wire Harness 04 Aug 2006 14:42 #67160

• amedeo
  • User
I rewired my kz400 after i bobbed and hardtailed it.This was due to running the harness through the frame(Bat box to Neck)I started from scratch 3 circuits .Start one at a time.Try to keep the wiring colors close to diagram.I eliminated some wiring.kill switch,start button etc.(1 key switch under seat)Alot of my wiring is custom. But the main issue is getting Colored wire(coded) the connectors came from Mikesxs.com .By the way i recommend soldering connections as opposed to crimpconnectors.

Wire Harness 04 Aug 2006 14:43 #67161

• amedeo
  • User

Wire Harness 05 Aug 2006 23:53 #67410

• wagonmaster69
  • User
  • 78 KZ1000A2 / 82 KZ1100 Spectre
  • Thank you received: 4
Go to AmericanClassix.com and they have wireing harneses
78 KZ1000 work in progress in Hacienda Heights California and a 82 KZ1100 Spectra And a 1992 ZX11.

Wire Harness 07 Aug 2006 16:38 #67861

• KZKrayzee
  • User
Thanks for all the helpful info. I am going the rebuild route. With the connectors all available online, that is a much smarter and cheaper route. Thanks guys!

• Page: