Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ400 bad starter motor - removal ?s 01 Aug 2006 11:00 #66396

• wreckedmyteg
  • wreckedmyteg's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've got a 76 KZ400 with a bad starter (assuming).

Starter was screeching, now it's dead. Blows the main fuse when I try to start it.

Question is - do I have to drain the oil before pulling the starter, and does it just "come out" through the top cover, or are there other things I need to do first? Kick startings fun but electric would be funnerer.:whistle:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ400 bad starter motor - removal ?s 04 Aug 2006 17:02 #67179

• amedeo
  • User
I have a 77 so they should be the same.Remove gear lever,then the side cover.On the back/top rear of engine remove top chrome cover( 2 small bolts) .inside is the starter and wiring.Be careful removing starter bolts they break some time .no oil draining necessary.You can check the drive gear while your there.easy change if you need to.

KZ400 bad starter motor - removal ?s 23 Aug 2006 16:32 #71924

• wreckedmyteg
  • User
ok, it's raining so I'm swapping starters.

But...I'm stuck.

I've got the cover off.

I've removed the two bolts in the back of the starter that hold it down.

I've got it "free" to a point where I've pulled the starter just past the o-ring on the collar.

But, it's got to go another pube hair and just won't budge.

I can't take the side cover off (the one with the shift lever) because one of the screws is stripped and I don't have a drill. I'm doing this half-assed in my garage.

Do I just need to pound the shit out of it (which I've been doing) to get it to go that last bit?

Please help! I fear I've taken it far enough apart I won't get the original starter back in to make it driveable (and I busted the top stud off where the cover bolt goes hitting with a BFH).

:huh: :dry: :dry: :huh: :dry: :blink: :( :( :ohmy:

KZ400 bad starter motor - removal ?s 23 Aug 2006 17:28 #71946

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
wreckedmyteg wrote:

Do I just need to pound the shit out of it (which I've been doing) to get it to go that last bit?

You haven't taken the cover off, and you beating it with a hammer? Maybe the starter chain and sprocket are still attached and binding?
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com
Attachments:

KZ400 bad starter motor - removal ?s 23 Aug 2006 18:27 #71956

• wreckedmyteg
  • User
The guy I bought it from said it pulled out like an auto starter.

So I have to take that cover off, got it. Guess I have some drilling to do (damn 30 year old screws).

In the mean time, I was able to put it back together and ride down the road, so I think I'm just back to square one.

When I take that left side cover off, do you have to drain the oil? Or is it dry behind it (and I'm referring to the front most case cover, not the rear drive-sprocket cover)?

KZ400 bad starter motor - removal ?s 24 Aug 2006 12:01 #72191

• ibsen22000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
There shouldn't be any oil inside the generator cover since the generator is runing dry, but if it's been a long time since it was taken off, you can expect some condensation water, and a few drops of oil. And the reason you have to take off the generator cover is that the sprocket on the end of the starter shaft, and the starter chain and sprocket is located behind the generator cover, and you can't get it back on without removing that cover.It is also easier to remove the starter from it's compartment if you remove the sprocket and the chain when you have moved the starter far enough to get the sprocket off it's shaft. The sprocket is not bolted on btw, it slides right off:

kz400.com/KZ400%20D3%20bilder/KZ400D3%20...%20town/DSCN0896.JPG

• Page: