TOPIC:

Newtronic Systems electronic ignition 31 Jul 2006 15:47 #66163

• bclscott
  • bclscott's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi
I have a KZ650 1987 with standard mechanical points,
As i'm rebuilding on a budget, I have the chance to get an Newtronic Systems electronic ignition system on ebay.
However its a system ripped out of a scapped bike and therfore does not have fitting instructions
Does anybody have a copy of these and could they scan and send them

Regs
Brian Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Newtronic Systems electronic ignition 31 Jul 2006 17:02 #66175

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
I have one on one of my 750s.

I would be glad to look for my instructions to see if I still have them. Moreover, instructions or not, I can help you get it installed. I remember most of it.

The colors and wires shouldn't be that different between models, I think....

Post edited by: Biquetoast, at: 2006/07/31 20:02
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Newtronic Systems electronic ignition 31 Jul 2006 19:36 #66212

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I looked at the company website. I'd like to know more about them .a review perhaps? How it compares say with Dyna? Would that be comparable?
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

Newtronic Systems electronic ignition 02 Aug 2006 12:09 #66715

• bclscott
  • bclscott's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Hi.
thanks very much for the reply, If you could find the instructions that would be great.
My email address is:- This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
If you cant find it then just the wire colors would do

Thanks again
Brian Scott

Newtronic Systems electronic ignition 02 Aug 2006 16:13 #66760

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
pumps wrote:

I looked at the company website. I'd like to know more about them .a review perhaps? How it compares say with Dyna? Would that be comparable?

No real review here, because I don't have the expertise to know the difference. For me, as a twin owner, they were my only real choice since they are one of only two manufacturers that made them for twins (not Dyna), and the other doesn't even have a website... both are in the UK... And, it was *relatively* cheap.
Too bad they went out of business, but they were bought by Autocar. We'll see if another twin ignition is ever made....

bclscott wrote:

If you cant find it then just the wire colors would do

I'll have to get to it a bit later... I'm quite a bit sick (cold/flu whatever) and the bike is out in the 100 degree garage... I'll get back atcha...
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Newtronic Systems electronic ignition 02 Aug 2006 19:02 #66805

• Sendhendrix
  • User
Right now Newtronic is in limbo. It's been bought out by Autocar, a British parts magnate, earlier this year. Autocar plans to begin offering the line of Newtronic parts late in '06, using the Newtronic name etc.

I am waiting for that to happen because I have been sold on the Newtronic system for some time. I have heard a lot of good things about the system in terms of ease of installation, reliability in use, and customer support. Also a fair number of them are in use, providing the classic bike crowd with a good baseline of experienced users from whom to get help and advice.

Newtronic Systems electronic ignition 06 Aug 2006 11:03 #67500

• martijn
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I had troubles with Newtronic!! and a friend of my had the same troubles. One of the two "big current" transistors died/faded.
The other thing is they work with a light cell, Dyna's use magnetism which is less sensitive for troubles...
but you can give it a shot..

Martijn

Newtronic Systems electronic ignition 06 Aug 2006 11:23 #67504

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
82-83 KZ750 twins have electronic ignition stock, and the KZ440 twins also have electronic ignition stock. Either one is a direct bolt on operation onto the 76-80 750 twins. With a little more effort you can use the 650/750 timing advancer by pressing off the slug and pressing it back on the 750 twin advancer reversed, and either use one side of the 650/750 igniters or making one using Lou's website. I don't know about using the 650/750 pickups though, I have not looked into that yet.

I really ought to quit telling people this, because more people are going to start bidding against me and driving the price up :(

KD9JUR

Newtronic Systems electronic ignition 06 Aug 2006 22:47 #67663

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
steell wrote:

I really ought to quit telling people this, because more people are going to start bidding against me and driving the price up :(

Same thought occurred to me.

Maybe it's time to start making ignitions from scratch. The Newtronic, in my opinion, is not that great. It seems very flimsy. The wires are very thin. They are very sensitive to voltage fluctuations.

I'm designing an ignitor that uses the points as a trigger and an HEI module as the coil-driver. Since I don't have any points-driven motors, maybe I'll send it to you for testing, that is, if you still have a points bike.

I still don't see why Dyna doesn't make one. They practically already have it designed... just use 1/2 of a 4-cyl KZ model. Their design doesn't really care which way the engine turns.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/08/07 01:49

• Page: