Time to replace the coil packs?

  • Shdwdrgn
  • Shdwdrgn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • Posts: 634
  • Thanks: 29

Re: Time to replace the coil packs?

26 Sep 2026 16:42
#927936
OK I think I got it now...  Went out for a short ride around town today, and it was running nice and smooth when I left, but after about 15 minutes it got so bad that one cylinder was completely missing and I had zero power taking off from a light.  When I got home I was finally able to see the issue... all four of the front boots between the carbs and engine are cracking or split near the engine-side screws.  The heat made the rubber curl back enough to see it.  I only hear a real problem on the left side, so I must just be getting lucky that the splits on the right side are still somewhat sealed.  Hopefully that's the whole issue, and I'll get some new boots ordered tonight.

MEANWHILE... ugh that damn clutch cable popped off again.  This time I was about a mile away from home but somehow it was still giving just enough resistance to keep me going slowly down the street, so I was able to hobble back home.  This one is driving me nuts!  I tore it all down yesterday and cleaned things up.  The original cable was not actually broken, but that end crimped piece on the cable had popped out of the bracket down at the bottom/engine side.  Same thing happened again today.  The only thing I can think of is that the bracket opened up some where the cable slot is at, so maybe once I put the cable back in I can just squeeze it down with the channel-locks.

Has anyone else seen this before?  Am I on the right track or is there another solution I should be looking at?  The crimp fitting on the original cable looked fine when comparing it to the new cable, there's no indication that it got reduced in size like it had forced its way through the end whole of the clutch bracket.  Maybe if I squeeze the bracket down I can also get a zip-tie to wrap around the whole bracket to help keep it from opening up again (assuming I'm on the right track here)?  What do you think?

Oh I should also mention, the cable itself is still covered in grease, and when I put it back together the clutch level on the handlebars moved smoothly and had the tension I expected.  I did add a little new grease to both sides of the bearing plate.
1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • bound
  • bound's Avatar
  • Offline
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • Posts: 252
  • Thanks: 44

Re: Time to replace the coil packs?

26 Sep 2026 18:01 - 26 Sep 2026 18:02
#927941
Did anyone ever mention checking for air leaks? On my 550 when I had an air leak it had very similar symptoms. It would heat up then it would start revving up then when I tried to lower the idle the rpms would just plummet and barely idle. Popping and backfiring are symptoms of running lean. If you have propane laying around you could check that way by spraying it around the carb holders. Sometimes you can even hear it.

 
I did call this out earlier but it must've gotten buried. I do imagine the the carb holders are one of the underlying issues with your build. Im glad you finally found it though! For the clutch cable - Is the bracket that holds the cable in place damaged or bent? There should be a spring and a cotter pin to hold in the clutch at the engine. If that cotter pin is missing that is probably your problem. 
1982 KZ1000M2 CSR
1983 KZ440D5 LTD
1985 GPz 550A2

Craig
Last edit: 26 Sep 2026 18:02 by bound.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Shdwdrgn
  • Shdwdrgn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • Posts: 634
  • Thanks: 29

Re: Time to replace the coil packs?

26 Sep 2026 20:22
#927943
Yeah no worries, a vacuum leak has been mentioned several times and I've been trying to figure out where the problem might have been but I just wasn't seeing anything.  And this is like the first time in forever that I didn't have carb cleaner or something sitting on the shelf to spray around and try to narrow down the search.

And wow... I am missing both the cotter pin and the spring!  The spring does sound familiar but I don't remember ever having a cotter pin there.  Where is it supposed to go?  I didn't see a hole through the end of the cable, is it maybe supposed to thread around either side of the cable?  I can grab another spring from the hardware store, I don't suppose you happen to have a reference for the diameter or length?
1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • bound
  • bound's Avatar
  • Offline
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • Posts: 252
  • Thanks: 44

Re: Time to replace the coil packs?

27 Sep 2026 10:08
#927949
The spring is 55mm x 10mm with about 12 windings and here is a picture of how its supposed to look. 
1982 KZ1000M2 CSR
1983 KZ440D5 LTD
1985 GPz 550A2

Craig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Shdwdrgn
  • Shdwdrgn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • Posts: 634
  • Thanks: 29

Re: Time to replace the coil packs?

27 Sep 2026 11:38
#927951
Awesome, thanks!  I couldn't find any dimensional information last night on this but I figured it needed to be just large enough for that slug on the end of the cable to pass through.  And nw I see how the cotter pin is supposed to works, makes a lot more sense about how it keeps the cable from falling out again.  I honestly don't remember ever having a cotter pin there from the original build, I wonder if the spring tension is all that's been holding it in place all these years?

Well at least that's a pretty easy fix.  I hate the idea of having to remove the carbs once again, but crossing my fingers the new boots solve the vacuum leak.  Still some time for riding around town to test it out although there is a lot of rain in the forecast this week.  Ideally I have time to get out on the highway to work out any tuning issues so it's ready to go next year.
1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Shdwdrgn
  • Shdwdrgn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • Posts: 634
  • Thanks: 29

Re: Time to replace the coil packs?

Yesterday 12:31
#928031
I wrenched my back Saturday evening so I'm just finally getting back to this...

OK this seems like a worse problem now... I took the assembly apart again over lunch and found that the cable is actually still in place this time, however it looks like the plate jumped over the bearings to the next position.  The photo above seems to show the position the level was in when I opened it, however I have to roll mine back clockwise for the cable length to correctly fit to the clutch lever on the handlebars, with the center adjuster a little over half way expanded.  That's just where it has always been so I didn't think much of it?  After re-assembling everything the clutch lever feels good again, I just don't know if that little spring will be enough to prevent it from going too far once more.  Maybe I need to leave a little slack in the clutch so it doesn't pull the cable as far?
1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Shdwdrgn
  • Shdwdrgn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • Posts: 634
  • Thanks: 29

Re: Time to replace the coil packs?

Today 17:22
#928042
So far leaving the cable a little looser seems to be working.  I've done a couple of 15-20 minute loops staying close to home and it hasn't slipped again.  Feels like it fully disengages when I pull in the lever.  The new carb boots don't arrive until Thursday, but if I keep it down to a 15-minute ride then it keeps running OK with only minimal popping.

And I'm definitely liking how it is running so far.  Cold starts are pretty easy, I haven't had to choke it more than the middle notch.  Idling is smooth (at least until the engine really heats up) and it isn't trying to die on me when I stop (something I constantly fought with).  One of these days I'll get it out on the highway so I can open it up and see if it goes lean  I'm starting to get more confident that I'll be able to get it running well before putting it away for the season.
1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Street Fighter LTD
Powered by Kunena Forum