Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1981 KZ750-H2 Fuse Question 20 Aug 2023 16:59 #888536

• Noxxender
  • Noxxender's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Recently my bike had an issue with blowing the headlight fuse and after poking around on this forum and a couple other sites I decided to swap to blade fuses.
This seems to have alleviated the issue but I noticed something strange with the wiring in that the main 20A fuse seems to be in line directly to one of the 10A accessory fuses.
Looking at the wiring diagram, I'm not sure this is correct even though the bike seems to be working properly and wanted to see if anyone here had any knowledge or advise on it.

I've included a photo of the wiring diagram, the bike's current wiring, and a copy where I try to point out my concern with a yellow line.
Battery goes directly to the 10A accessory fuse, which has a strange double bullet connector, then a single bullet connector for the white-red main cable, this goes to the 20a fuse in the main fuse box and then to the white main cable that goes into the harness.

Thank you!
1981 KZ750 H2
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

1981 KZ750-H2 Fuse Question 21 Aug 2023 01:22 #888548

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1798
It sounds like somebody has been swopping things around to bypass a fault somewhere, the below explains how it should be according to the wiring diagram. I would suggest you set it up as "stock" I can then help you diagnose any issues this may cause because of a pre-existing fault

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noxxender

Last edit: by Wookie58.

1981 KZ750-H2 Fuse Question 21 Aug 2023 06:57 #888550

• Noxxender
  • User
Thanks for the diagram, I poked around and noticed a black-yellow cable coming straight off the battery that has the same exact double bullet connector. I think someone must have put it back into the wrong plug at some point before I got the bike from my dad. Seems like it starts easier now too, I don't know a whole lot about electrics but I would have figured the starter would have tried to pull ~20a and blown the 10a fuse, but I wonder if it was only letting it pull 10a the way it was.

Also including another picture since your diagram says neither of the accessories should go anywhere from stock, but it looks like the other one is a white-blue wire that runs into the harness too?
1981 KZ750 H2
Attachments:

1981 KZ750-H2 Fuse Question 21 Aug 2023 08:40 #888553

• Wookie58
  • Away

Thanks for the diagram, I poked around and noticed a black-yellow cable coming straight off the battery that has the same exact double bullet connector (be careful, black/yellow is ground on Kawasaki). I think someone must have put it back into the wrong plug at some point before I got the bike from my dad. Seems like it starts easier now too, I don't know a whole lot about electrics but I would have figured the starter would have tried to pull ~20a and blown the 10a fuse, but I wonder if it was only letting it pull 10a the way it was. The starter isn't connected to any fuses - it draws 40-50 amps+

Also including another picture since your diagram says neither of the accessories should go anywhere from stock, but it looks like the other one is a white-blue wire that runs into the harness too?  The white/blue runs to the front of the bike but isn't connected to anything (it is there to provide an accessory feed if required)

1981 KZ750-H2 Fuse Question 21 Aug 2023 09:06 #888559

• Noxxender
  • User

(be careful, black/yellow is ground on Kawasaki)

It doesn't appear to be grounded? I didn't take another picture but it's literally a second ring terminal on the battery positive to about 2 inches of black-yellow cable and ends in a bullet connector that wasn't connected previously to anything.
1981 KZ750 H2

Last edit: by Noxxender.

1981 KZ750-H2 Fuse Question 21 Aug 2023 09:21 #888561

• Wookie58
  • Away
You shouldn't have black/yellow on the "positive" battery terminal. If you had grounded it you would have had a fire as it would have caused an "unfused dead short" across the battery. I would suggest you carefully compare the bike to the wiring diagram you provided (it looks like a "bad man" has been bodging !!!!) Below is what you should have on the unfused/battery side of the electrics

Attachments:

• Page: