Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Rebuilding wiring harness (electrical tape) 20 Jan 2023 05:25 #879040

• Feanor_twh
  • Feanor_twh's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I am rebuilding the main wiring harness on the KZ400, I have noticed that it is wrapped in some kind of good quality black electrical tape, with a rubbery feel.

The first thing that occurs to me to replace it is common electrical tape, but this type of tape has a greasy glue that with heat tends to melt and become crap.

I wonder if there is something more similar to the original tape that these bikes come with, which has lasted 40 years without any problem.
(1976) Kawasaki KZ400-D3. All original, but: electronic reg/rec (Oregon Motorcycle Parts), new handlebar controls (w/ PASS/HORN/lights switch, LED dash lights (superbrightleds.com), Dynatek coil (3ohm), MAC mufflers, HEL brake hoses, rubber fork boots, 4.00 rear tyre (Dunlop K70), chromed chainguard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rebuilding wiring harness (electrical tape) 20 Jan 2023 05:35 #879041

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2658
The harness uses a small amount of adhesive backed electrical tape at branch points, but the tape you can see visually is non-adhesive type over rap.  Elliot tape sells a version of this tape, and there are others I'm sure you can find using google.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feanor_twh

Last edit: by Nessism.

Rebuilding wiring harness (electrical tape) 20 Jan 2023 06:03 #879045

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
CycleTerminal link below. scroll down for tape. he has reg & hi-temp 3M and some non-adhesive tape from Japan.
I've placed several orders from CT. Z1Enterprises.com may have some of the same or similar stuff as well.

www.cycleterminal.com/sleeve-tubing.html

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Rebuilding wiring harness (electrical tape) 20 Jan 2023 08:59 #879056

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 511
F4 silicone tape, been around for years. Everyone should have it just because! Multi-use.
Been discussed here many times.
I had it for free up until I retired! 12 yrs. ago. My home supply ran out about 5 yrs. ago.  .

www.amazon.com/dp/B002LA2258
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Rebuilding wiring harness (electrical tape) 21 Jan 2023 04:56 #879104

• Feanor_twh
  • User
Thank you for your answers. The amount of knowledge on this forum is amazing.
(1976) Kawasaki KZ400-D3. All original, but: electronic reg/rec (Oregon Motorcycle Parts), new handlebar controls (w/ PASS/HORN/lights switch, LED dash lights (superbrightleds.com), Dynatek coil (3ohm), MAC mufflers, HEL brake hoses, rubber fork boots, 4.00 rear tyre (Dunlop K70), chromed chainguard

Rebuilding wiring harness (electrical tape) 21 Jan 2023 06:21 #879105

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
  • Thank you received: 222
I wouldn’t go with a self vulcanizing silicon tape as it turns to solid rubber over time and is difficult to remove if you ever have to gain access to your harness.
Instead I’d use Scotch 33+. It will easily withstand the high temperature within the frame but will also remain sound at freezing temperatures. I’ve been using it for years as an electrician and have seen it hold up under many various conditions. When terminating the wrap, don’t stretch it too much and clip it with diagonal cutters or scissors.
Just make sure you have a fresh roll. All electrical tape has a shelf life.

The Super 88 is good also but is slightly heavier, less flexible and more difficult to conform to the shape of the harness.
Go with the 33+, it’ll outlast you and is better quality than what came on the bike.

"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

Last edit: by blipco.

Rebuilding wiring harness (electrical tape) 21 Jan 2023 07:17 #879108

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2658
www.amazon.com/Factory-Electrical-Adhesi...ction/dp/B06Y2KDQRN/

Here is a link to some non-adhesive harness wrap tape being sold on Amazon ...

The writing on the inside shows "EG" which means it's Elliot Tape.  Good stuff.

I use this stuff, along with 3M adhesive tape at the wire junctions to hold the harness together.  Don't use adhesive tape for the entire harness unless you want a sticky mess the next time you have to work on the harness.

Last edit: by Nessism.

Rebuilding wiring harness (electrical tape) 21 Jan 2023 07:43 #879111

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P

www.amazon.com/Factory-Electrical-Adhesi...ction/dp/B06Y2KDQRN/

Here is a link to some non-adhesive harness wrap tape being sold on Amazon ...

The writing on the inside shows "EG" which means it's Elliot Tape.  Good stuff.

I use this stuff, along with 3M adhesive tape at the wire junctions to hold the harness together.  Don't use adhesive tape for the entire harness unless you want a sticky mess the next time you have to work on the harness.

>>>> I agree. Get a roll of the non-adhesive wrap plus a roll of 33+.

"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

Rebuilding wiring harness (electrical tape) 21 Jan 2023 10:25 #879118

• Feanor_twh
  • User
Thanks again. I bought 33+ since I don't have to redo the entire harness just add some wires. But I note that for extensive work it is better to use non-adhesive wrap and finish off with 33+

Rebuilding wiring harness (electrical tape) 21 Jan 2023 10:31 #879119

• jwfels
  • User
  • Thank you received: 32
. after 50 years in IBEW, 45 working, 33+ is best, the 2242 rubber is a self sealing rubber, molds to itself, for excellent waterproofing, spent quite a few years in traffic signal installs, only tapes used in overhead splicing, years later sometime for modifications, if a splice has to be opened, still perfect, if done correctly, 3m is pricey, contractors always tried to send something cheaper, but we were stubborn,  pic includes a mosfet hookup for my 650, got entire harness and reg/rec for $55, from a 2011 or so zx14, have a nice day kids
Z1A AND 81 650
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: blipco, Wookie58, Feanor_twh

Rebuilding wiring harness (electrical tape) 21 Jan 2023 11:03 #879121

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843
I’m playing around with some harness reconditioning. I bought harness tape here

www.wiringharness.com/
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

Rebuilding wiring harness (electrical tape) 21 Jan 2023 12:32 #879123

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P

.after 50 years in IBEW, 45 working, 33+ is best, the 2242 rubber is a self sealing rubber, molds to itself, for excellent waterproofing, spent quite a few years in traffic signal installs, only tapes used in overhead splicing, years later sometime for modifications, if a splice has to be opened, still perfect, if done correctly, 3m is pricey, contractors always tried to send something cheaper, but we were stubborn,  pic includes a mosfet hookup for my 650, got entire harness and reg/rec for $55, from a 2011 or so zx14, have a nice day kids

>>> Holy moly! I had 36 years in, 35 good, and that was enough. I had to travel a bit but I only would go to an area where I would enjoy living and there were things to do. Those were some good times. Got out at 58. 

• Page: