• Page:

TOPIC:

Battery Draining 19 Jan 2023 15:23 #879021

• Deon
  • Deon's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1964/07/20
  • Thank you received: 4
Hello all,The 80 kz650e ltd did not have a battey when i bought it. Bought a new one from fleebay, changed the ignition system to dyna s and that sorted the spark issue. I wired the dyna s through a relay. I noticed that if the kill switch is on the battery drains very quickly. Kill switch off, no drain at all. The battery drained to zero and now wont even take the charge. 

The bike also had an inline fuel filter. It would not start so removed it and put the pipe straight to the carbs. Started first time and runs lovely. I bought a new inline filter and fuel hose as to prevent the carbs getting dirt. It now wont start with the filter on the fuel line. The filter is full of fuel so dont know why it wont start.
Any ideas appreciated 

Hello from the UK
NC750X
KZ650E1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Battery Draining 19 Jan 2023 15:33 #879022

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1785
When you say it drains with the kill switch on I am assuming the ignition is also on????
How have you wired the relay for the Dyna??
Is the oriantation of the new filter correct, if it is of reasonable quality it should not cause this problem?? (Don't be offended but some in-line filters come with a blanking plug in the outlet to keep dirt out, if fitted did you remove it?)

Last edit: by Wookie58.

Battery Draining 20 Jan 2023 06:01 #879044

• Deon
  • User
  • 1964/07/20
I have checked today again to make sure and the battery drains without the ignition On. If the kill switch is in the run position battery drains. In off position it is fine. i purchased a 30 amp relay from amazon and have wired it with as follows.(1) 2 red wires from dyna s to 87(2) 2 wires piggy back off 87 to the two orange live on the coils(3) one wire from the yellow/red double plug where coils attached before to 86(4) one wire from battery negative to 85​​​​​​​(5) one wire from battery positive to 30 
Hello from the UK
NC750X
KZ650E1
Attachments:

Battery Draining 20 Jan 2023 06:08 #879046

• Deon
  • User
  • 1964/07/20
I did check the inline fuel filter and it all seems fine. I did find a kink in the pipe and tried again. It did almost start today but thought i need to sort the draining issue first. I would never be offended by anything you in the know say because without the help from you guys i would not know where to start. 
Hello from the UK
NC750X
KZ650E1

Battery Draining 20 Jan 2023 06:16 #879047

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2675
Be sure the fuel filter you added is designed for a gravity fed fuel system, like for a motorcycle or lawn mower.  Many filters are for pressurized fuel systems, which won't flow properly when installed on a bike.

Battery Draining 20 Jan 2023 06:42 #879049

• Deon
  • User
  • 1964/07/20
Good point, i did not check that 
Hello from the UK
NC750X
KZ650E1

Battery Draining 20 Jan 2023 07:51 #879054

• Wookie58

I have checked today again to make sure and the battery drains without the ignition On. If the kill switch is in the run position battery drains. In off position it is fine. i purchased a 30 amp relay from amazon and have wired it with as follows.(1) 2 red wires from dyna s to 87(2) 2 wires piggy back off 87 to the two orange live on the coils(3) one wire from the yellow/red double plug where coils attached before to 86(4) one wire from battery negative to 85(5) one wire from battery positive to 30  [
OK Deon, the relay wiring sounds correct so connect a voltmeter (red lead to red/yellow coil feed and black lead to battery neg) what does it read with ign off and kill switch in the "off" and then the "on" position - should be 0v in both positions. Anything more would suggest a possible ign switch fault but let's take it step by step - Carry out measurements with everything connected

Battery Draining 20 Jan 2023 21:13 #879094

• Deon
  • User
  • 1964/07/20
Cheers Wookie, 
With ign On or Off the reading is 0.
When ign On or Off when i turn the kill switch to run i am getting 12v reading on the red/yellow.
When i bought the bike the chap did say he changed the ign to try and sort the spark issue.    
Hello from the UK
NC750X
KZ650E1

Battery Draining 21 Jan 2023 00:25 #879099

• Wookie58
Your problem is almost definitely stemming from the ignition if you have full battery voltage with the ignition "off" then either the ign switch is faulty, it has been by-passed or the wire between the ign and kill switch is shorted to battery positive 

Battery Draining 21 Jan 2023 04:16 #879103

• Deon
  • User
  • 1964/07/20
Looks like i have some investigating to do. 
Hello from the UK
NC750X
KZ650E1

Battery Draining 21 Jan 2023 10:00 #879117

• Wookie58

Looks like i have some investigating to do. 
Indeed, still it looks like the problem is pretty localised around the ign switch/handlebar switch - good hunting 

Battery Draining 30 Jan 2023 06:58 #879450

• Deon
  • User
  • 1964/07/20
Just an update, hopefully someone has some ideas. The ignition is not very good so decided to get new one to eliminate the switch. When i unplugged the old ignition i found, on the harness side, someone has joined (very badly) the yellow going to stop / run switch and the white going to 20amp fuse together. I separated these 2 wires which has stopped the battery drain. But now i dont have any working lights on the dash at all. It also looks as if someone has had the ignition back off at some stage. I had to return the new ignition to z power as it was not the right switch and Phil does not know if he will be able to get one. So at the moment its not going very well. The bike is the US important kz650E1 and seems a problem to get parts for. Does anyone know where or what else to try.

Hello from the UK
NC750X
KZ650E1

• Page: