Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Oil pressure light on European Z400J four cyclinder. 24 Sep 2022 07:14 #874402

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2674
Maybe someone tracked the bike?  I must say, though, that the safety wire job wouldn't pass muster in the aerospace industry where I work (not that motorcycles fly or anything.)  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Oil pressure light on European Z400J four cyclinder. 24 Sep 2022 07:52 #874409

• zedordead
  • zedordead's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5

Maybe someone tracked the bike?  I must say, though, that the safety wire job wouldn't pass muster in the aerospace industry where I work (not that motorcycles fly or anything.)  
                 It's possible  I suppose but I doubt I'll ever find out. Interestingly the engine number doesn't match the frame number. It doesn't bother me as its recorded on the Registration docs. Not that unusual on a bike this age.My local mechanic has a Z550 with a Z750 lump in it. I agree about the wire job in your industry. I'm still waiting for my flying bike if you know anyone...
Oh lord, protect me from your followers

Oil pressure light on European Z400J four cyclinder. 24 Sep 2022 14:06 #874449

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 379

Yes I did notice the wired sump plug after I had bought the bike but I'm not too concerned as it's not the sort of bike you would use for racing. I's the only bolt that has been wired. I just put it down to an enthusiastic DIY er who got bored on a rainy day but I don't suppose I'll ever know why.. If I can find a suitable recepticle for the oil I plan on taking the pressure switch out and having a root around inside it. It'll save me £30 if i can get it going again. Anyone have an exploded diagram?

I wasn't concerned as such - just pointing out something I thought was interesting. :)

"Not the sort of bike you'd use for racing" - I respectfully submit there is no such thing.

Normally I use the diagrams on Partzilla or CMSNL, but neither seems to have the I4 400.

1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R
The following user(s) said Thank You: zedordead

Oil pressure light on European Z400J four cyclinder. 24 Sep 2022 15:01 #874452

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
If the oil pressure switch thread is M10 x 1, you can use a VW Golf/Rabbit 1 oil pressure switch for 5 €.

Oil pressure light on European Z400J four cyclinder. 24 Sep 2022 15:18 #874455

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2674

Interestingly the engine number doesn't match the frame number. 

They never do on KZ bikes.

Oil pressure light on European Z400J four cyclinder. 24 Sep 2022 16:47 #874457

• zedordead
  • User

Interestingly the engine number doesn't match the frame number. 

They never do on KZ bikes.
 I didn't know that - how bizarre!

Oil pressure light on European Z400J four cyclinder. 24 Sep 2022 16:50 #874459

• zedordead
  • User

If the oil pressure switch thread is M10 x 1, you can use a VW Golf/Rabbit 1 oil pressure switch for 5 €.
   That's handy to know - so it might be worth taking it out and going to a VW dealers or car spares shop. It wouldn't be the first time I've walked itno car spares shop with bike bits and asked if they had anything similar.

Oil pressure light on European Z400J four cyclinder. 24 Sep 2022 16:52 #874460

• zedordead
  • User

Yes I did notice the wired sump plug after I had bought the bike but I'm not too concerned as it's not the sort of bike you would use for racing. I's the only bolt that has been wired. I just put it down to an enthusiastic DIY er who got bored on a rainy day but I don't suppose I'll ever know why.. If I can find a suitable recepticle for the oil I plan on taking the pressure switch out and having a root around inside it. It'll save me £30 if i can get it going again. Anyone have an exploded diagram?

I wasn't concerned as such - just pointing out something I thought was interesting. :)

"Not the sort of bike you'd use for racing" - I respectfully submit there is no such thing.

Normally I use the diagrams on Partzilla or CMSNL, but neither seems to have the I4 400.

You haven't ridden one of these 400's have you.....? 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Oil pressure light on European Z400J four cyclinder. 24 Sep 2022 17:00 #874463

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 379

The US (twin) version, yes - please see my sig block. :)

Also, as a further counterpoint, this:

1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

Oil pressure light on European Z400J four cyclinder. 24 Sep 2022 23:47 #874468

• linuxrob
  • User
  • Thank you received: 43
With the wire off you should have 12V or there about's on that wire, it works like the neutral light the switch provide the ground return to put the bulb on. The bulb is fed from the brown (main power after ign switch and gets a return from the blue with red tracer wire through the oil pressure switch to ground. your wire is a repair poss due to the elimination of the side stand safety swtich on non UK models.

As previous poster suggested with engine stopped the switch is closed allowing current flow and when the engine fires and you get over a few PSI oil pressure it OPENS stopping the current flow and the light goes out. check the brown wire from headlight to tacho oil light and the Blue with red tracer strip comming back to headlight shell then it is in the loom from there till it goes into the chain cover with the neutral wire (green) and the alternator wires (yellow)

check with a multimeter the voltage on your repair wire (disconnected) ign on, in the photo and check with resistance setting wire removed, the oil switch closed (low or no resistance engine stopped) and open(high res) with engine running.

good idea to remove sump and clean out anyway if you do not know the motor.

Nice JT Harlty pic on the Profile pic.

1980 Z500 B2 owned from new 78260 miles
1980 Z500 B2 in bits since 1982 23000 miles
2004 GSF1200S Bandit K4
2000 GS125 ESD
Attachments:

Oil pressure light on European Z400J four cyclinder. 25 Sep 2022 04:49 #874485

• zedordead
  • User

The US (twin) version, yes - please see my sig block. :)

Also, as a further counterpoint, this:

I think they were even slower!

Last edit: by zedordead.

Oil pressure light on European Z400J four cyclinder. 25 Sep 2022 05:12 #874486

• zedordead
  • User

With the wire off you should have 12V or there about's on that wire, it works like the neutral light the switch provide the ground return to put the bulb on. The bulb is fed from the brown (main power after ign switch and gets a return from the blue with red tracer wire through the oil pressure switch to ground. your wire is a repair poss due to the elimination of the side stand safety swtich on non UK models.

As previous poster suggested with engine stopped the switch is closed allowing current flow and when the engine fires and you get over a few PSI oil pressure it OPENS stopping the current flow and the light goes out. check the brown wire from headlight to tacho oil light and the Blue with red tracer strip comming back to headlight shell then it is in the loom from there till it goes into the chain cover with the neutral wire (green) and the alternator wires (yellow)

check with a multimeter the voltage on your repair wire (disconnected) ign on, in the photo and check with resistance setting wire removed, the oil switch closed (low or no resistance engine stopped) and open(high res) with engine running.

good idea to remove sump and clean out anyway if you do not know the motor.

Nice JT Harlty pic on the Profile pic.

Great advice, thanks Linuxrob. I've tested the light and wiring by earthing it and it come on fine . I had planned on removing the switch and trying to get it working but it's leaking oil from inside, where the screw that holds the wire goes into leading me to think the oil is insulating the contacts, so I'm going to change it when I get chance.
    The JR Hartley pic is a meme I often use when I read something on t'internet that is clearly bollox.  Very few people get it so full marks to you