Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ650 Regulator/Rectifier Replacement 16 Aug 2019 16:20 #809280

• Schultzboy
  • Schultzboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So I’ve had a 1977 KZ650 for a couple years and it has sat idle for a while due to other more important home projects and lots of kids sports. Well I am picking back up where I left off then and am stuck on the regulator/rectifier.

Back then I bought a few parts from Z1 Enterprises like carb rebuild kits and a new combined regulator rectifier. (Model AKI6027) I don’t see this one listed under KZ650 parts any longer as it looks like he has changed to a different model and the wires are all different colors. So I’m having some difficulty trying to figure out what gets connected to what.

On the bike I have the three yellow wires that come from the stator through a 4-pin connector as well as the black and white wires that would also normally connect to the rectifier based on the standard B1 wiring diagram. I have not checked it out yet, but my bike also still has the original regulator with the green ground from the stator, brown from the turn signal relay and the black/yellow which I’m assuming is neutral across the whole bike.

The new combo regulator/rectifier has five wires coming out of it. Two brown and one black wire come out and create a 3-pin connector which is where I’m guessing the three yellow stator wires should go. But the black wire also jumps back out of the back side of this connector and gives you a eye hole connector and then terminates in a round push connector. One of the brown wires also jumps out and ends in a round push connector. The other two wires coming out are red with one ending in a single round push connector and the other ending in two with one being male and the other female.

So my questions are:

1) How do I determine what all of these wires are supposed to connect to since I can’t find anything online that shows me a wiring diagram?

2) Since I had to replace the original rectifier due to the fact that it already had four out of five terminals snapped off when I bought it, is it a good idea to leave the old regulator in place and simply not use those wires on the new combo unit? Or is that not a good idea and should I just plan to replace both old pieces with the new one?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ650 Regulator/Rectifier Replacement 16 Aug 2019 16:29 #809282

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2620
Pics please

KZ650 Regulator/Rectifier Replacement 16 Aug 2019 16:39 #809284

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
Never seen a green wire as a ground wire on a Kawasaki, green is a Honda ground colour scheme. pics please.

KZ650 Regulator/Rectifier Replacement 16 Aug 2019 16:48 #809288

• Schultzboy
  • User
Hopefully the attachments work. There are four.

One is the B1 wiring diagram. One is the original regulator still in place. One is the new combo regulator/rectifier. And the last is the currently gaping hole where the battery would normally be, but you can make out all of the existing loose wires I have.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Schultzboy.

KZ650 Regulator/Rectifier Replacement 16 Aug 2019 17:05 #809290

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
First at all your battery positive wire cross-section is a way to small and should be have the same cross-section like the battery negative wire!

Attachments:

KZ650 Regulator/Rectifier Replacement 16 Aug 2019 17:41 #809292

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
None of this adds up.
Steve

KZ650 Regulator/Rectifier Replacement 16 Aug 2019 18:19 #809300

• Schultzboy
  • User

Scirocco wrote: First at all your battery positive wire cross-section is a way to small and should be have the same cross-section like the battery negative wire!

This was just a quick fix at the time I first picked it up because the original positive wire was in real bad shape, so I just picked up some wire to replace it and see if it would live at first.

Do you know what gauge it should be? I didn’t notice any markings on my negative wire to compare and match up to. I think the current positive wire is 10ga.

KZ650 Regulator/Rectifier Replacement 16 Aug 2019 18:22 #809301

• Schultzboy
  • User

SWest wrote: None of this adds up.
Steve

That’s where I’m at. Part of me wonders if I can just snip off the extra pigtails that were provided and use the five wires that come out of it. Then it seems like it might make more sense to me.

But I’m not an electrical guy, so I wanted to run this by the experts before making any mods.

KZ650 Regulator/Rectifier Replacement 16 Aug 2019 18:33 #809302

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
It doesn't have three yellow wires coming out of it. The regulator looks like a single phase unit. What does the original rectifier look like? Are those three yellow wires coming from the stator? You may not be able to use that R/R at all.
Steve

KZ650 Regulator/Rectifier Replacement 16 Aug 2019 18:37 #809303

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
You might be better off with the one Ed has for sale.
Steve
kzrider.com/kunena/23-for-sale/609585-sh...-regulator-rectifier

KZ650 Regulator/Rectifier Replacement 16 Aug 2019 18:56 #809305

• Schultzboy
  • User
Here is a pic of the original rectifier that was bolted to the bottom side of the battery tray.

I’ve also attached a picture of the wire group coming out of the stator housing which has the three yellow wires, the green ground going to the regulator and a red that turns into a red/green on the other side of the 4-pin connector just like the wiring diagram shows.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Schultzboy.

KZ650 Regulator/Rectifier Replacement 16 Aug 2019 20:31 #809310

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More complicated than it needs to be. Looks like the green wire is ground. Doing away with the black and white split I would combine them. One feeds the starter solenoid and lighting circuit and the other goes to the fuse box but still cant see how the one from Z1E would work. With a SH 775 it would be better and easier. Three yellow in, black to green (ground) and red to battery.
Steve
Similar setup
Attachments:

• Page: